Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheapest/easiest way to get to Venice Island from the airport in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ted

Hello,<BR>I'm just wondering what the most economical and easiest way is to get to Venice Island from the airport. An estimate on prices in Euros would be appreciated, as well. Also, once on the island what is the best way to get to your hotel? What are vaporetti (water buses)?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Ellen

Sorry, I can't help with the airport info as we came in by train, but here is my 2 cents about the vaporetto. If you are schlepping luggage and it is rush hour, take a water taxi. The vaporetto is like the subway at rush hour--crowded and a real pain with baggage. You have to lug it down into and up out of the boat. Just aggravating after a flight or train. Also, don't know where you are from but the euro and the US dollar are pretty much dollar for dollar.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Capo

Hi Ted. We just did this in April, after asking the same question here. <BR><BR>I'm not sure how much it costs to take the train or bus into Venice from the airport, but we loved taking the Alilaguna water shuttle from Marco Polo to the vaporetto stop near Piazza San Marco. Alilaguna tickets are very eonomical, only 10 euros each, and it's very easy to find, right outside the door of the area where you claim your baggage. <BR><BR>Once we got to that vaporetto stop, we wheeled our luggage to another nearby one and caught a vaporetto to the stop closest to our locanda. You might be able to do the same if there's a vaporetto stop close to the place you're staying. Or else, as Ellen mentions, you can always take a water taxi, paying more (as always) for convenience.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:39 AM
wondering

Ted,<BR> About this "Venice Island" thing...you used this reference in another post last week. Venice is actually a congolmeration of many small islands connected by bridges. The Venice mainland is Mestre and then there are the actual islands--larger and spaced further apart...Burano, Murano, the Lido and a host of others small ones scattered throughout the lagoon. Your use of the term "Venice Island" is confusing and basically inaccurate so thought you'd want to know. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:14 AM
cap

<BR>Just got back from Venice last week. Note: they've moved the airport. Everything has shifted to a new building next to the old one, so it is a much longer walk to the water landing. Somebody mentioned a shuttle to it, but I didn't see it.<BR><BR>Here are your options: <BR><BR>+ Cheapest, slowest, most noxious. Land bus through Mestre to Piazzalle Roma. This probably costs about 6 euros, but it is slow, hot and stinky. <BR><BR>+ Next cheapest/slowest. The Vaporetti are big slow boats that provide bus service up the Grand Canale and among the islands. Cheap, but has the drawbacks of public transportation. It takes you to a landing near P.San Marco, as I recall. You do get a lovely view of this lovely city as you arrive. <BR><BR>+ Next, the Alilaguna. This is your basic airport shuttle. Fewer stops than the vaporetto, and much more comfortable. It takes you to a landing west of PSan Marco. Costs about 10 euros per person, as I recall.<BR><BR>+ Next, the water taxi. This is a powerboat that will take you up the small canals to your hotel, or as close as possible by water. Something like 80-100 euros for the trip, though.<BR><BR>With 8 people and lots of luggage, we chose the water taxi. You get a discount for a return trip, and our friends needed to use the water taxi for an early flight (nothing else running that early), so that was the right choice. We returned later on the Aliliguhna, which was also fine. I took the land bus years ago and it has no romance at all. <BR><BR>Once you get there, you have to walk to your hotel. Bring a map, if you don't get lost in Venice, you are not trying.<BR><BR>Near the train station and (less so) near S. Marco stop, there are guys with carts who will haul your luggage to the hotel for you (for a price, of course). <BR>In any case, this would be a good time to invest in wheeled luggage.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:25 AM
KAM

I was in Venice from June 21-24th and happened to arrive at the airport the day of a vaporetti strike! We took a water taxi to the Ca'd Oro stop, I think it was still like a 30/35 min ride and it was wonderful! <BR><BR>It cost $80(euros) and we were happy with that because I had emailed the hotel, the Giorgione ahead of time and they said it would be $85. We had thought because of the strike we would pay more but that did not end up being true. The driver took our luggage and did not charge us extra as I had heard ws custom. <BR><BR>We rode the vaporetti at other times and did manage to get to the train station on it with our luggage, but if you have never been to Venice before splurge and enjoy the ride in the Water Taxi. <BR><BR>Hope this helps! <BR>KAM<BR><BR>ps - we had heard of the Aliguna (SP?) shuttle but were tired and frustrated from travel and did not want to wait for the next one when the water taxi was right there.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Sue

I hope you read this response. We arrived in Venice a family of 4 on June 24. The water taxi is 80 eu. We opted for the water bus. It was hotter then hell. The inside which is the only way you can sit and it is like a hot house. We had approximately 2 large pieces of luggage and one tote bag, a stoller, a childs car seat and 2 back packs. We got off at St Marks Sq. and had to walk through the massive pigeons and people knowing where our hotel was. Take a water taxi. If you are traveling over seas you are going to be exhausted and hot when you arrive. It may seem pricey but it is worth the less stress.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:29 PM
to the top

bringing this message thread back up "to the top".<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Vito

Cheapest way is to swim. Easiest is to take airport shuttle.