Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I allow a 7:30 am flight out of Venice determine where I stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had to adjust our dates and we went from an 11:30 am direct flight to a 7:30 am flight with a layover. I'm currently looking for apartments and wonder if the flight time should influence where we stay. Would it be better to be a little closer to Fondamente Nuove?
How much time should I allow to get to the airport?

Thank you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM

Do not assume water travel. It may be better to take ground transport from Piazzale Roma that time of day.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:32 AM

I wouldn't let it influence where I stay. You don't say how many days you'll be in Venice, but don't base yourself away from where you really want to stay just for the convenience factor on the departure day.

Just make sure you know how long it will take you to get to Piazzale Roma. I suggest doing a trial run sometime before departure day so you know what to expect the morning you leave.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM

But, Bob, maybe, with luggage and all, they'd need the vaporetto to get to Piazzale Roma.

To the OP, staying near Piazzale Roma/Venice SL (the train station) would be the safest location. Looks like the Alilaguna doesn't run much in the early morning hours. The other alternative would be a water taxi, but that's pricy.

Here's a helpful link: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...ce-airport.htm
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM

When we had a early flight out of Venice, our hotel arranged for a water taxi to pick us up.

The four couples of us split the cost.

That worked out well for us.

Byrd
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:15 AM

The vaporetto runs all night; on a limited schedule, but it runs.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:15 AM

This depends a lot on when you are going and your tolerance for stress and uncertainty.

I personally agree with Bobthenavigator about not depending on water travel, esp in fall or winter, since we have experienced fog so thick that the water taxi couldn't run, and we were dropped at Piazzale Roma to take a taxi to the airport.

Could you rent your apartment until the day before your departure and spend the last night in Mestre or near the airport? Less enjoyable but more relaxed.

By the way, expect the airport to be a madhouse early in the morning, with endless lines, all moving slowly, as you join others trying to make mid-day connections on homeward flights, business travelers trying to get out early, and military troop movements on commercial flights. It all works out eventually, but it can be stressful.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM

"When we had a early flight out of Venice, our hotel arranged for a water taxi to pick us up."

That's what we did as well.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Bobthenavigator. But if mornings are clear and you have the money, you could book a water taxi the night before your departure.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:39 AM

I'd hate to arrange several days' stay in Venice based on the last night out.

I've gotten to the airport by 6 a.m. from Locanda Orseolo (near Piazza San Marco) walking to Piazzale Roma (w/ one carry on) or taking the vaporetto from Rialto to P. Roma, from there taking ground transportation.

We've also taken a water taxi which is least stressful if you want to spend the money.

I would also recommend checking what time your airline office opens--I've sometimes gotten there before any of the counters were open and just cooled my heels for a while.