Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice to Salzburg itinerary??? Car(partial) or train?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2023, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be flying into Venice this July with my family from Colorado! We would like to head to the Salzburg area after some time there. Originally I was just going to take the long train but now I am tweaking the schedule so we have 2 nights to break that up. Should we stop in Bolzano and then Innsbruck? Or stop in Bolzano and take the bus to Ortesei for 2 nights and then just head to salzburg? Or would it be better to rent a car in Venice and explore the Dolomites for a few nights and return the car in Bolzano and take the train from there?

I am not sure if we will get a good feel for the Dolomites staying in Ortesei only? Any suggestions are welcome!
Old May 31st, 2023, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get an impression of the Dolomites while staying in Ortisei. But the problem with that plan is that you'd only have one+ day to get that impression, so it obviously won't be the "big picture." Just me, but I'd leave the heart of the Dolomites for another trip when you can spend at least a week driving around, over the passes, to some lakes, riding some cable cars, taking some hikes. Depending on the specific lodging situation you'd need and your budget, you may be late finding it in Ortisei for just a few weeks from now.

I'm a huge fan of the Otzi (Ice Man) exhibits at the Tyrol Archeology Museum in Bolzano. I'd train to Bolzano and stay 2 nights. (Train ride is 3.5 hours.) Visit the Otzi museum and wander Bolzano the afternoon/evening of arrival. The next day, ride the Renon cable car in Bolzano, take a short hike from the top and/or ride the little train to Collalbo. If you stayed 3 nights, you could take the bus to Ortisei or Selva and ride one of the cable cars.

I would use trains/buses and not get into the process of renting and returning a car. If you rented a car in Venice and returned it in Bolzano, there would be a one-way surcharge. It might not be a deal-breaker, but you should see how much it would add. You'd have to return the car in Bolzano during specific hours. I doubt the offices there are open Saturday afternoons or on Sunday. They might be closed for lunch in the middle of the day.