Trenitalia Prices Q and Partial Itinerary Q

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the Vatican is open during Friday nights, I am thinking of changing the day I visit the Vatican Museums. I'm leaving Florence by train on a Friday, doing a day trip in Orvieto, then arrive in Rome by early evening.

The first part of my question: I am reading the train schedules on the trenitalia website for Sept 11th and some of the prices say NA (morning from Florence to Orvieto and in the afternoon from Orvieto to Rome). Does this mean that the whole train is booked for those time?

Second part: I know this is putting a lot in one day, but I'm concerned about the timeframe. If I arrive at the Termini station around 5:00-5:30pm, check in at the hotel (near the Pantheon area), would I have enough time to get to the Vatican by an 8:00pm timeslot? Or should I try to aim for a 3pmish train from Orvieto to arrive in Rome around 4pmish?
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add that I have the scavi tour scheduled for Sept 14th in the morning, so I plan on doing that and spending some time at St Peter's Basilica. My original plan was to visit the Vatican Museums on the same day in the afternoon, but if I can move the Vatican Museums to Friday night, then I have a free Monday afternoon to see something else, such as Castel Sant'Angelo.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Ooops, scratch that. Castel Sant'Angelo is closed on Monday.

Okay, but same idea. If I move the Vatican Museums visit to Friday night, then my Monday afternoon can be left open to something else.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM

There is very little that is open on Monday. Offhand, the Vatican Museums and the Roman Forum/Colosseum/Palatine are the only places open.

The reason why some trains are showing NA is because they are Regionale trains. There are no reserved seats on Regionale trains, and tickets can only be purchased 7 days in advance (if you have an Italian credit card).
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want prices you must enter a date within the next 7 days otherwise the R train prices won't show (has nothing to do with being sold out).
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! It sounds like I might be better off spending a couple more hours in Orvieto and leaving the Vatican Museums visit for Monday afternoon.