Partial itinerary (Ireland)

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Partial itinerary (Ireland)

My husband, 2.5 yr old and I will be traveling to Ireland next month for 12 days (excluding overnight flight). We'll be flying in and out of Dublin. We don't want to rush things and would like to have a few bases. This is what I have so far. What would be a central location for accommodations on Day 4-6? I also have Days 8-10 open. We enjoy culture, hiking, scenery, castles, churches.

Day 1- arrive Dublin
Day 2- Dublin
Day 3- Powerscourt Garden, Glendalough, overnight in Cashel (is this feasible)?
Day 4- Rock of Cashel, head over to Kerry.
Day 5- Killarney NP
Day 6- Dingle Peninsula
Day 7 Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, overnight where (Galway)?
Day 8-???
Day 9-???
Day 10-???
Day 11 Newgrange, overnight very near airport (10:30am departure)
Day 12 depart
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 09:55 PM

For your open days, you may want to consider spending at least 1 night on the Aran Islands since you already plan on spending time in the Burren, Cliffs, Galway area.

Galway and the Salthill area make a great base if you like a city atmosphere. Kinvara (on Galway Bay) is good if you want a more relaxed village experience with far less tourists. It is right next to the Burren, about an hour to get to the Cliffs, and 40 mins to the center of Galway - has a small castle, good restaurants and close to a dozen pubs (some featuring live music).
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM

You are definitely rushing things in the first few days. We took almost 5 days to meander our way from Dublin to Kenmare, including 2 nights in Kilkenny.

You could possibly hit Cashel at the end of Day 3, but I don't think you'd really enjoy your visits to Powerscourt or Glendalough. Don't forget to consider time spent at various locations - some places have a way of drawing you in and you suddenly find yourself on the other side of a few hours. Added to that, the roads through Wicklow to and from Glendalough are not going to make for quick going - pretty narrow and hilly along a lot of routes.

Perhaps you might consider staying around Wicklow for a night? I know it seems like it's right next door to Dublin, but between the drive, and the sights you want to see, you may be better off. If not, I'd not go farther than Kilkenny. That puts Cashel maybe an hour away the next day.

After that, you could shoot for Killarney or Kenmare for a night or 2. The National Park is HUGE, and has many varied tours and sights to see. Lots of walks, waterfalls, Muckross House, etc.

If you include Dingle, I'd not try it as a day trip from Killarney or Kenmare, especially if you want to do justice to some of the sights, including the Slea Head drive. Smaller roads and a less-than-direct route, it might be something like 3+ hours just to get there.

After Dingle, you could probably get to the Cliffs of Moher that same day. Trying to also get to Galway that day may be pushing it. One thing I would suggest to anyone who is really interested in seeing the Cliffs of Moher is the cruise out of Doolin pier. http://www.cliffs-of-moher-cruises.com/ Add it in to the Cliffs visit and you have an AMAZING look at some great scenery if the weather is right.

Perhaps stay in Doolin rather than rush to Galway. Also gives you a chance to get good weather for the Cliffs if you didn't get it the afternoon before.

So, where are we? I've lost count
Day 3 Kilkenny (I'd still say maybe Wicklow)
Day 4 Killarney
Day 5 Killarney
Day 6 Dingle
Day 7 Doolin
Day 8 Galway
Day 9 Galway
Day 10 ?
Day 11 Newgrange/ Dublin

Still have a day open - I'm not sure the best route back to Dublin area after Galway. But while in Galway, I'd look into going up toward Clifden, perhaps Connemara National Park.

Its getting late, and my brain is giving out on me. I'm sure others may have a lot more to offer. And I may have second or 3rd thoughts in the AM.

Just one thing to keep in mind - it's probably better to be a bit slower and potentially miss something because you will probably enjoy and appreciate the things you DO see a LOT more.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks, Jefe. Clare2 we are working on a similar itineary for next May. we have about 14 days. It is hard to determine what you can see in a slow pace. We would like to rent a cottage for 4 nights or so at least once if possible twice. We've done this in other countrys but I'm not sure the sights we want to see are easily reachable from a base in Ireland.
Old Aug 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

I thought we might be rushing it in the beginning. I'll look into the Aran Islands as a possibility. Thank you for your suggestions.