Venice to Pompeii - advice needed

Mar 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Venice to Pompeii - advice needed

This is my first post. Thanks in advance!
I'm going with my 14 year old daughter to Italy for 10 days at the end of June. The plan includes Venice (which I loved on my last trip: 30 years ago!) and a look at Pompeii.
Is this a good plan? Fly into Venice - stay 4 days. Then a train to Rome for 4 days and a day trip to Pompeii. Fly out of Rome or Naples?
I know I'll be hot and exhausted after Pompeii. Perhaps sleeping overnight that evening in Pompeii itself and flying home from Naples the next day?
(One regret is that it's too bad we have to skip Florence, but we don't have enough time.)
Thanks so much for your wisdom!
REBECCA
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM

First question - are you including travel time in your day count? Do you have 4 full days in Venice and Rome, or is part of this time needed to travel to and from destinations? That makes a difference to what my answer would be.

But if you do have the 4 full days each then I would fly out of Naples if you want to end your trip with Pompeii. I would probably stay overnight in Naples (so you have the opportunity to sample the delicious pizza).
See what others say - because there are many experts on this board....
....but I might even cut out a half day from either Venice or Rome.Take the train into Naples - spent the afternoon there (especially visiting the museum which houses many of the Pompeii artifacts).
Stay overnight in Naples. Next day daytrip to Pompeii.
Stay overnight in Naples again and depart for airport the next morning.
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice about Naples. Yes, my daughter LOVES pizza and that would be the perfect ending for the trip.
Do you think this is too hurried with Rome in the middle
Wed eve 6/27: fly overnight to Venice
Thurs - Mon: Venice
Tues: Train travel to Rome (looked at the Trenitalia site and saw it is a 5 hr trip.
Tues eve & Wed-Thurs:Rome
Fri: Pompeii
Sat: pizza in Naples and fly home
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:10 AM

I would also investigate whether one of the budget airlines flies between Venice and Naples. If so, you could spend a night or two there, then take the train to Rome, which might make for easier return to the U.S. tan leaivng from Naples.
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:14 AM

Hi Rebecca - I'd take one day from Venice, if not two.

I'd probably travel to Rome late Sunday afternoon/evening to allow 4 full days there. There's so much to see ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM

I would consider the following itinerary:

Wed - Leave US
Thu - Arrive Venice, overnight Venice 2 Nights
Sat - Night train to Naploli
Sun - AM, walk from Train Station to Ancient History museum. Early pizza lunch in Napoli. Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. Afternoon in Pompeii. Circumvesuviana to Sorrento, Spend 2 nights in Sorrento.
Mon - Bus trip along Amalfi coast to Positano. Spend the day in Positano, return to Sorrento by hydrofoil.
Tue - Expore Sorrento in the AM, take train or hydrofoil to Naples in the afternoon. More Pizza Train to Rome for early evening arrival. Spend the last 4 nights in Rome.
Sat - Fly home from Rome.

This gives you 2 full days plus your arrival day in Venice and 3 full days plus 1 evening in Rome and a full day for Pompeii/Naples and a trip along the Amalfi Coast (gorgeous!)