Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time driving in Italy - what would you do?

Feb 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

I am attempting for the first time to arrange our family holiday by myself. This site has been my inspiration. I have only just found out about it and I think i am hooked. However, that aside I need some advice from fellow travellers. I want to either drive from Rome to Venice meandering and stopping at places like Siena, St Gimmi, lucca, assisi?(obviously not all of these but some of them at least.) and whatever or I can drive from Venice to Nice doing a similar thing but obviously stopping at towns on that route. Which will be more scenic and interesting? Last time I caught the train between the larger cities but felt I missed out on much of the charactor of the places I was visiting. Please let me know what you think.d

Feb 28th, 2007, 02:48 AM
ira

Hi H,

You have answers to the firwst time you asked.

Click on your name to find all of your posts.

Feb 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

sorry, someone advised me to re post it using a different heading. I'm new to all of this so I am still finding my way. Thanks for the advice, but I do know how to look at my posts and answers already, just following someones suggestion in attempt to get more feedback.
Feb 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM

I can't compare the two routes since I've never been to France, and we've only driven as far west as Milan, but I think the car trip we did in the reverse - from Venice to Rome - during our first trip to Italy was simply magical. In part because we kept discovering unexpected sites along the way. I had studied all about the places we were spending time in; never thought to check out what we would pass through and by. We "found" Montagnana, Mantua, Spoleto, Deruta, Orvieto. Our second trip was driving through Tuscany and there we explored the cities you mention. All marvelous!
We've only done limited train travel in Italy, and I can't help but agree that I think you miss something by that means of transportation. A car allows you to stop when you pass that curious shop or see a sign for gelato.
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:29 AM
ira

Hi H,

How many days for the drive?

How long will you be in Europe?

What's the full itinerary?

Mar 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM

Rome to Venice is probably better than Venice to Nice. Besides, it eliminates the cross-border drop-off fee for the rental.
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:04 AM

We have rented a car and driven all over Italy--north, south and otherwise. There's no need to do a combination of modes of travel--just get the car and use it to go anywhere and everywhere you want to go. Signs are clear, roads are typically good and you get to drive fast when you want to.
Have a ball.
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:07 AM

If you pick up a car in Italy and drop it off in France you will likely incur a hefty drop-off charge.

Other than that, there are no issues to speak of regarding driving in Italy.