Venice to Amalfi travel planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking our first (10-day) trip to Italy. We're thinking of skipping Rome and spending:
3 days in Venice
2-3 days in Florence area
4-5 days on the Amalfi Coast (Positano)

We plan to fly into Venice, rent a car and drive to Florence and Amalfi and then fly home from Naples. Does that seem like a reasonable transportation plan? Is there any advantage to flying in and out of Rome (or a different airport) and taking a train or driving to our arrival and departure destinations?

Also, we are thinking of going without hotel reservations (we will be traveling in late Sept/early Oct.) Do you think we would have trouble booking hotels last minute that time of year?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I would take trains/ferries rather than a car - they are easy and if you have never been to Italy, it isn't the easiest place to drive - especially when trying to interpret road signs, etc.

Also, you actually cannot drive into the historical center of Florence - you must take a taxi or find a driver who is licensed to drive in Florence. You won't need a car when you arrive, unless you are planning to take day trips out of the area - but again, you would have to stay in the outskirts with your car, or leave it and take a cab into the city if you are staying in the historical center.

The Amalfi Drive is exciting but can be very tricky. For example, if it is raining, they don't advise you to drive at all. I would take a train from Florence to Naples, 10 minute cab ride to the Metro del Mare and ride the ferry to Positano (about 90 minutes). Not all hotels on the Amalfi Coast have parking and if they do, it is very limited and can be very expensive. Anyway, good luck.

ciaolaura
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM

I would reconsider your elimination of Rome. We spent 12 days two years ago on a similar trip plan, but included 38 hrs (literally) in Rome. Wish we had spent more time in Rome, don't think you get the whole Italy experience (first time) without Rome. You could eliminate 1-2 days from Positano and finish up in Rome. PS-driving is not a problem in Italy, signage is clear, just learn a few words for signage and you'll be fine. We drove from Venice, to Tuscany, to Barrea and Carovelli, to Sorrento, Positano and finally into Rome. (did get rid of the car in Rome, walked a lot)
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
dgg

Let's see...there are so many points! I agree with the previous poster that I would reconsider skipping Rome. If you can do 2-3 in Venice, 2 in Florence, 3 in Rome and 3 in Positano, that would be near perfect. We're "drivers" although I can certainly understand the merits of taking the train. You will not need a car in Venice, Florence or Rome. Many people despise the idea of having a car on the Amalfi Coast, but we've actually enjoyed having a car there and driving the coast. The idea of taking the train from Rome to Naples then taking the ferry to Positano is appealing. You can hire a driver, bus, ferry or taxi to the sights you want to see on the coast.

Last May, a friend and I stayed in Positano and flew out of Naples. We were flying Naples-Rome-US which meant a VERY early departure from Naples to make our connection in Rome. We had to leave Positano in the middle of the night to get to the Naples airport on time. Perhaps you can do better with your planning. Having said that, I would not bother driving back to Rome to catch your international flight. It's basically a wash.

You could go Venice-Florence-Positano-Rome. Personally, I like ending my vacation with a mini-vacation that is a relaxing end to a trip.

As far as hotels, you are planning at least 2 to 3 nights in each place. I love traveling without being tied down with reservations, but you know where you are going. It would be better to have hotels. You don't want to arrive with luggage in any of these places in September and have to drag your bags around looking for a hotel.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:25 AM
ira

Hi K,

I like your itinerary.

Rome is not high on my list, either.

I suggest taking the train, not a car.

The best way to get to Amalfi would be by train to Salerno. You can then take the ferry (3 blks from the train station) or the SITA bus to Amalfi.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa

For trains see http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

I strongly suggest making reservations. End of Sept is shoulder season in Italy and the AC is still crowded.

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Taking the train from Venice to Florence to AC is the way to go. The train is fast, efficient, clean and easy. Pick up a rental car once you're down south if you really want to drive the coast. Otherwise settle into your Amalfi Coast to relax, and if you want travel it by boat (in my opinion this the best way to see the coast, the least stressful for sure).
Rome: this is my favorite city in the world, but if I had to recommend 2-3 nights in Florence or 2-3 nights in Rome, it's Florence hands down. And not because I love Florence. But to try to "do" Rome in 2-3 days is stressful and overwhelming. Ideally, Rome takes at least a week to wrap your brain around - it's spread out, with many different neighborhoods and really amazing strata of history.
Have a great trip!
Ellen Craig
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Appreciate the advice and suggestions.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM

We visited all the same places last April. I would also reconsider Rome. I did not want to go, as my husband had been years before and it didn't excite me. It was probably my favorite place to visit. We had a private guide who made Rome come alive. We spent three nights and saw alot of rome, including the vatican wiith a history guide. You can get a good feel for rome in 3 days.

Train from Venice to Rome is perfect. Because of your time frame, I would have rooms booked. I made our train reservations based on which side I needed more time. We left Venice early, so we had more of a full day in Florence. I liked Florence, but wouldn't spend alot of time there. Shopping VERY expensive, enjoyed the Academia, Uffizi, but not much of a museium buff. We loved Amalfi coast. I had researched alot on transportation and spoke wiht our hotel. They stated ALOT of pick pockets on the trains from Naples to Sorrento. So, Beaware. I thought if the hotels were concerned, we should be very aware. They arranged a driver to pick us up, which was great. He was waiting for us as we got off the train. He gave us history of the area, and told us about the sights. I had thought of the ferry, but found out they only run certain times and weren't running yet when we came in April. They don't run i the weather is not good.

Try La Calcina hotel in Venice...Loved the location as it was very quiet.....with windows opening to the water. Stayed at Antica Torre Di Via Tornbuoni, which is a great location in florence, walking distance to everything. In Rome, loved the Ceasar House, which has great air conditioning. In Positano, stayed in Covo Dei Saraceni which had great views, wonderful buffet for reakfast with eggs and bacon. Have a wonderful time...loved italy!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Marilee - I just checked the hotels you mentioned for Venice and Florence. Already booked for dates I was searching in Sept/Oct (using Venere.com). But I'll keep searching since they sound nice.

Thanks all for the suggestions on Rome. I'm reconsidering adding it into the trip!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM

If it were me I'd spend 2 full days in Venice, 3 full days in Florence and 3 full days in Rome. I'm not counting travel days.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM

kennedy...contact the hotel directly. I actually do that most of the time. I check the prices on the internet, then check with the hotel and it is often cheaper directly through the hotel. You never know, they might have an opening or put you on a waiting list if you call directly.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM

I would also suggest a private guide in Rome or florence, if you are spending a short amount of time. You will see so much more and for my husband and ourselves....it was a highlight of our trip! email me if you want names of some good guides and i will look them up on my itinerary. [email protected]
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:00 AM

Also if you speak Italian fluently enough to pass for being Italian, the hotel may give you special rates when you call directly.
Ellen C.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM
italy_traveller

Hmm quite a lot of advice here. Kennedy you could probably go through this place http://italy-hotel.bravehost.com also. The advantage is you can pay at the hotel directly but be sure to read the fine print before you book. And please go to a reputed hotel in a good, secure neighborhood, don't choose something just because it is very cheap.

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM

hmmm...for all you fans of taking the ferry...just be aware that there is VERY LIMITED service off-season to Postiano...and none (that I know of) from Salerno-Positano off-season ...Sept. maybe...Oct., nope.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:13 AM

Kennedy,

Like an earlier poster, we DID do Rome in a day.

We arrived tired from our flight in the afternoon, checked into our hotel and had dinner and went to bed. The next morning we saw St. Peter's, the Sistine Chapel and the Coleseum. We also paid an English-speaking taxi driver $50 to drive us around for two hours and show us the sights (it would be $100 today). He let us get out of the cab and go look a few times.

I would suggest a hotel near the Vatican. We stayed at the Hotel Columbus. We had a deal. Others have said it is overpriced, but it is a pretty neat place. Certainly worth it for a single night.

BTW, I'm in the planning process of a trip that is almost identical to yours.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Agree with the others about not skipping Rome. Since it's your first trip to Italy and given your itinerary, I'd suggest traveling by train also. Slow Travel has an excellent page on Italian train travel: www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/index.htm

Finally, like all of us Fodor planners, I would never go with reservations. (I believe we stay in better places by planning ahead.) But for you, I would make sure I had reservations for your arrival day, your departure day, and in any cities. Venice, in particular, is very popular in September. On the Amalfi coast in early October, it's off-season, so maybe okay.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Just back yesterday from 14 nights in Italy.
What we did:
fly to Rome-3nights
train Salerno/Ferry to Positano-4nights
Drive to Montalcino-3nights
Drive to Venice-3nights
Train to Stresa-1night
Fly home from Milan

Side Note: The days we took the trains, we were at our new destination in time for lunch both times. The days we drove, we barely made it in time for an apertivo!

I was looking least forward to the time in Rome but thought it was a "must do". Ended up being my absolute favorite part of the trip. We saw Rome at its worst in July...hot & crowded...& we still loved it. I could live there--It did not feel like a "city" to me. So glad we took guided tours (Angel Tours: Ancient Rome & Vatican--2 separate 1/2 day tours)

I was probably looking most forward to Positano which was great, but probably could have done w/1 less night there given the amt of time we had overall. Basically it is down time to enjoy the scenery, restaurants & shops. Could definitely have used the extra day in Rome or Venice.

3 nights in Venice barely scratched the surface. Did not do a tour, but we should have. Went to Murano/Burano...it was ok.

The trains were easy. Only really needed car in Tuscany but if we had more time in Lakes area, would have liked one there too. Should have trained from Amalfi Coast to Tuscany because it was a full day of driving. Also should have trained from Tuscany to Venice as it too was an exhausting & stressful drive. On the train you can relax, read, nap, enjoy the scenery; in the car you & your navigator must both stay on task with the unfamiliar maps & signs.

I'm big on making reservations but there is some appeal to not be "locked in". Probably would have left Positano a day earlier & maybe even Montalcino...

I worry about finding good places to stay because I find it really can change your opinion of a place and also I don't want to waste time there searching for a place.

Here is where we stayed:
ROME: Marriott Grand Flora
(ok, but not great location)
POSITANO: Hotel Albergo California
(Great place-highly recommend-supposed to be $125/night off season...read about it in Budget Travel Mag)
MONTALCINO: Castello di Velona
(beautiful, but REALLY quiet)
VENICE: Locanda Orseolo
(I Can't imagine there is a better place to stay-it was incredible)
STRESA: La Palma Hotel
(Awesome town to stay night before flight out of Milan---very easy shuttle to airport, but a world away)

PS. we flew into Rome & out of Milan only because the flight was the cheapest I could find; we then worked the stops around the flights.