Travelling from Rome to Amalfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the best way to get to Amalfi from Rome be by rental car or Limo, if cost is not a factor? We had hoped to get a direct ferry or hydrofoil from Civitavecchia, but apparently there is no longer a direct boat. In '92 there was a hydrofoil, I think from Rome and landng in Naples or Sorrento. It was lovely...any ideas?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:53 AM

The best way is by limo.
The second best way is by rental car, if you like to drive narrow roads.

have fun
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM

Last summer we flew into Naples and had a driver meet us for the trip to Positano. We used the same limo service from Positano to Rome and the cost was about 300 Euro for that part of the trip. We have driven in most areas of France and Italy except for the major cities and I would not have attempted the drive either into our out of the Positano area. Besides you don't need a car on the coast. Having the driver afforded us the opportunity sight see along the way and it was very relaxing as opposed to getting lost and frustrated.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have to fly into Rome. We'll spend 4-5 days in Rome, and book a limo, I guess .
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM

Probably the best choice, not cheap but money well spent in my opinion. Have you been to Amalfi before? Just wondering what is drawing you there and what time of year will you be visiting the area?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM

Well, we took E* from Rome to Salerno; then minibus to Amalfi....gorgeous drive along coast. Easy cheap trip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi L,

If cost is not a factor, helicopter.

You might want to consider taking the train to Salerno and the ferry to Amalfi.

The 09:45 ES* arrives Salerno at 12:16. The ferry docks are 3 blks SE of the train station.

The boat ride along the coast is quite lovely, and there is plenty of room for luggage.

Ferry schedules are at http://tinyurl.com/j4ufa

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Gosh! I never thought of a helicopter! We have friends who are treating us to this part of the trip, and they can do whatever they want, where money is concerned.

I would like to fit in a ferry, but I know they won't take a train. They have been to Amalfi, and would like to go back, although there is a leaning toward Positano.
My husband (and 2 boys and a great-grandmother) have been to Amalfi and Positano before, but we stayed in Sorrento.

This couple stayed in Amalfi in a former monastery and loved the pace, etc. I haven't been to either place in over 10 years.

I will be in Europe for 3-4 weeks, and this is the start of the trip. I won't be going until next year, May/June.

You are all so helpful.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM

If money is no object hire the limo, it is so pleasant to sit there sipping prosecco while Italy flows by.