Venice - ships in port

Search

Venice - ships in port

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice - ships in port

I just looked on Cruise Calendar and noticed that I'll be in Venice at the same time as four cruise ships -- with a potential of over 6,000 passengers (based on maximum capacity)

I have to assume that EVERYTHING will be mobbed, correct? Any suggestions for what to do to avoid the crowds?
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Dh and I were in Venice last year on a cruise ship (don't even get me started, but we won't be doing it again anytime soon). Yes, Venice was absolutely mobbed and the crowds really spoiled the city for us. However, we took a vaporetta to Murano which was absolutely lovely and not crowded. The plan was to spend til about noon there and then go back to Venice, but we ended up spending all day as we just couldn't handle the crowds in Venice. So, give that a try.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Hi GoAway,

You don't say what time of year you are going, but I assume it's peak season - summer. I've visited Venice in March and in May. May was defintely busier, but not unbearable. I wouldn't try it in summer.

However, as soon as you get away from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge, you will find it's really not too crowded. Enjoy the evenings once the cruise shippers have left.

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:31 AM

During the day stay away from San Marco and the main tourist site. Visit San Giorgio Maggiore, Salute, walk along the Zattere and then through the back streets of Dorsoduro and San Polo. The suggestion of a trip out to Murano is a good one, and you could continue on to Burano and Torcello if you have time. Try and time your visit to San mArco for either very early in the morning or late at night.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM
ira

Hi G,

About 7,000,000 tourists visit Venice each year. Another 6000 people in high season isn't going to matter.