Crowds in Venice even in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed this message on the Slow Travel board, and thought it might be of interest to those who are wondering when to go to Venice:

"My husband and I have been in Venice for two full days now (second trip in two years), and we're already tired of dealing with the crowds (even though we try to avoid them as much as possible) and need a change of scenery tomorrow."

She went on to say that they had tried getting away from the main tourist sights and wandering around, but found they would turn a corner and be thrust back into the mobs again. So they are going to leave Venice and take day trips in the Veneto.

Charnee
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM

We were in Venice Oct 6-9 2006 and it was mobbed mostly from cruise ships. One day there were 4 ships in. It really was NOT pleasant.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM

Yes, this is the highest of high season-the first of October, as is September, so you have to expect crowds there-and I'll bet these people who were complaining rarely moved away from San Marco and the Rialto Bridge-there are LOTS of places in Venice to get away from the crowds-but if you stay around the most crowded tourist areas at this time of year, guess what! There will be lots of tourists, and it will be very hard to navigate through the calles and bridges during the day. You have to wait until evening, when things become peaceful, or, decide to stay in areas other tha the most heavily touristed areas.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM

We just visited Venice on Sept 24 and 25. The thickest crowds were around San Marco and Rialto. We did a walking loop connecting Campo San Barnaba, Campo San Margherita, Frari, San Polo, Rialto, San Marco, Accademia and back to San Barnaba.... I also got up at 6am to walk through Dorsoduro and along Zattere for sunrise pix. I didn't feel Venice was crowded until we got close to the above 2 tourist hot-spots. Oh, well the vaporetti were also crowded.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:55 AM

I also saw that posting on SlowTrav, and wondered how it's going to be for our two nights mid-June next year. To the point where I'm wondering if we should hold off on Venice this trip.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM

How many years ago did Yogi Berra say:
-nobody goes to Venice anymore, it's too crowded- ?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM

Well, Rick, just my two cents, of course, but the ONE month I would not venture to Venice is June, I'm afraid. It's quite hot and humid, they have very big tiger mosquitos, (the word "mosquito" in Italian is quite exotic sounding-ZANZARA-I like that word!) that you have to watch out for-it is the busiest month of the whole year in Venice, the highest rates on everything, and well, there will be humongous crowds. If you could put off your visit towards the last half of August, you might enjoy it a lot better, (that's really my favorite time of year there) or March is a good month also, still low season, but it's surprisingly warm most days, and the crowds aren't too bad-usually very little rain, as well.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

We were there in June 2 years ago and it was very hot, very humid, and very crowded. We were also there in mid-May this year. Very crowded from San Marco to Rialto, but once off of that it was nice. Very, very nice weather in mid-May, we actually started out in the mornings with jackets, but shed them by the afternoon.
dave
I have a friend who has gone in March and had absolutely beautiful weather, around 60 F and loved it.