Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice - San Moise didn't mail my postcard.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Ana

Had a bad experience at the front desk of this hotel with one of the attendants when I pointed out that thru Venere they had given me the most expensive room, posting that one and only room. He was somewhat aloof (can't say exactly rude) about the situation.<BR><BR>Of course it was my choice to accept the rate or not, (San Moise was recommended by Fodors) but I was new "in town" so I went for it.<BR><BR>I was checking out- catching my train going to Florence, so I was in a hurry, but hadn't mailed my daily postcard to my kids. He very "kindly" offered to do so, and I thanked him. <BR><BR>Yes, before anyone says it, I was a fool. It never arrived. <BR><BR>Has anyone ever experienced something similar?<BR><BR>Ana

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:02 PM
kavey

Ana<BR><BR>How long ago was it? I have found postcards from Italy can really take a very long time and sometimes one or two will take longer than the rest.<BR><BR>If it's really quite a while back, it may have got lost in the post, or, as you suspect, he may not have mailed it.<BR><BR>I have occasionally asked hotels to mail postcards I have forgotten to mail until checkout time but I have always either bought stamps from them and affixed them to the card before giving the card in, or payed the person for the stamp cost, plus a small tip.<BR><BR>As for posting only one, expensive room for sale on Venere, I don't know that I would count that as a rip off, since, as you say, you accepted the room on offer at the price on offer. It may be that he finds it easiest to sell the regular rooms using his normal channels and chooses to use Venere only for the more expensive ones. <BR><BR>Sorry you had a bad experience though, but hope the rest of your trip was wonderful.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Sue

Not trying to defend him, but I wonder how long it's been since you left the post card with him? It can take an unbelievably long time for mail to get to US on occasion, especially post cards. I've taken to putting all post cards in envelopes to send home b/c they go first class that way, and price is the same. A friend mailed me an Xmas card from England (priority mail), and it showed up here in Pgh. in late Feb.<BR>I hope that your card makes it; it would be maddening to think that he didn't mail it.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:48 AM
elaine

Given the imperfections of the Italian and the US postal systems, I wouldn't assume he didn't mail it.<BR>Last fall, some of my postcards from Italy arrived back the US before I did, and yet others, mailed on the same day, took 3 weeks to arrive. One never arrived at all, and I mailed all of these myself.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:08 AM
egg

It's not uncommon for business people near the border to take their mail and post it in Switzerland. Your card will probably arrive about a month from now.

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Ana

Well, lets see.... we left Venice September 25, 2001. Even for bad postal service, I don't think that is the case.<BR>We took a cruise (Venice -Bari - Katakolon - Kusadasi - Ephesus - Athens, Istambul)maybe not in the right order, toured Italy (3 days Venice, 2 days Florence, 4 days Rome), returning thru 5 glorious days in Paris. We promissed our children a postcard from each of the places we visited, and that was the only one that didn't arrive. <BR>I found that the Italians were less friendly than the French (which was really surprising since we were expecting quite the opposite).<BR><BR>Maybe there is still hope??????

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Carol

My friend and I "mailed" postcards to our parents from our hotel in Rome in July 1973. I guess I should no longer hold out hope that the cards will arrive. <BR><BR>Things have changed, however, postcards I mailed to the US from small towns in Sicily and Basilicata in 2000 and 2001 arrived within a week, in most cases in 5 or 6 days, and in one case in 4 days.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:55 PM
ja

In October of 2000 I left 8 postcards to Canada with the front desk manager at our resort near Merida, Mexico. No one received their postcard, and I shrugged and chalked it up to the Mexican postal system. In late March of 2001, all 8 postcards arrived at their destinations within a 48-hour period! (twilight zone theme plays eerily)<BR>ja

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Carol

Let's see you stayed at this hotel in September 2001 and decided to complain in May 2002. Am I missing something here?

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:30 PM
nancy

It took 6 months for some postcasrds to get from rome to the states.<BR>but, they were all mailed from the same hotel,<BR>so they must have gotten "lost"

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Ana

No Carol, it's not my first "complaint" (wasn't meant to be one either). My first comment was noted in my trip report when I came back from my trip last year.<BR>I was just wondering if anyone had encountered a similar experience.<BR>For the rest of you, thanks for sharing. I will let you know if and when I receive my beautiful Venice postcard.<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Ana

Hi Carol, Nancy, everyone:<BR><BR>Well it's that time of my life when I must appologize.<BR><BR>Frida, June 28, 2002 I received my beautiful Venice postcard, dated SEPTEMBER 24, 2001.<BR><BR>I must say I was surprised!!!!!<BR><BR>The OTHER surprise was that the postcard had a 0.62 Euro stamp. Hello???? This began Jan 2002, so I think someone must have found the misplaced postcard, and taken pity.<BR><BR>Any comments?????

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Simon

What is the date on the postmark ?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:14 AM
Ana

The stamp was issued in year 2002, but I couldn't see any postmarks.<BR><BR>ps. I live in Venezuela

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:02 PM
Sjoerd

The guy in the hotel must have read your post on Fodors.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:42 PM
Ana

That's exactly what my husband said, I think we have a powerful tool in Fodors.<BR>Ana