Reload this Page >

Pick a city for me please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Mike

OK - I'll be flying into Munich the first week of September for 11 days or so. I've spent a week in Munich so I don't need to see more.<BR><BR>I don't really want to stay in more then 3 different hotels - I don't like hopping around.<BR><BR>I'd like to combine 6-days in the Alps with 5-6 days in a city (not Munich).<BR><BR>Once I pick the city then I can set the rest of my plan.<BR><BR>But I'm struggling between choices like Vienna, Prague, Lucerne etc. I don't necesarily have to fly back from Munich.<BR><BR>Help me.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Julie

Consider spending your Alps time in the Italian Alps then heading down to Venice and flying home from there.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Mike

Thanks - but we spent 4 days in Venice in April....<BR><BR>Loved it though.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Mike

Thanks - but we spent 4 days in Venice in April....<BR><BR>Loved it though.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Wayne

You want help picking a city, and I assume you mean a large city rather than a small village. On the basis of your information, my suggestion is to rent a car and drive south into the Austrian and Italian Alps for your alpine experience, then on eastward to Vienna for your city experience, departing for the U.S. from Vienna. Certainly Vienna is as lovely a city as you will find. And as a base for exploring the Alps, try either Salzburg, Bolzano, or Innsbruck---any of which is well located with good highway connections.<BR><BR>If you want some pleasant smaller towns in the Alps, consider Merano, or some of the villages in the Swiss Engadine, or some of the lakeside villages in the Salzkammergut.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Julie

Hi Mike, If you've seen Munich and Vienna, you've probably seen several others. Try crossing the Alps into France and staying in a small town like Annecy. From there you can go to Lyon or Grenoble - or stay in one of those cities ... there is a great deal to see and it's a beautiful area. Good luck, Julie

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Rex

Quite puzzled as to why you are flying into Munich if that's one place you DON'T want to go!<BR><BR>But in any event, I'd suggest Strasbourg as your city and Chamonix/Annecy/Talloires for your Alps time.<BR><BR>Stop in Ulm (overnight) or Baden-Baden on your way from Munich to Strasbourg.<BR><BR>You could fly home from Geneva<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Farrah

Hi - was going to Prague, but just returned from an unexpected trip. I live nearby Munich, in Ulm. What about driving to Salzburg for a night and then driving down to the Slovenian Alps - go to Bled and if you feel like driving about 80km further, head to the capital, Ljubljana. I can't believe what a wonderful little country that turned out to be. The people are so fantastic - SO friendly - the food was great, the price was right, the country is really charming and they don't have hordes of tourist, YET. I strongly recommend this. Good luck and best wishes.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Mike

Thanks everyone - to answer a previous question - I'm flying into Munich because it's the closest direct flight I can get on USAIR where I can upgrade to business class.<BR><BR>I have NOT been to Vienna - only Venice of the suggested cities.<BR><BR>I spent a week in Munich and Garmish but the whether was so bad I couln't even see a mountain - the cloud line was so low.<BR><BR>I LOVED Germany and love to vacation in the Rockies - Banff and Lake Louise etc. so the Alps sound great. But then again I'm torn by the desire to see more of Germany - we did the Romantic Rd and Munich basically last time - maybe the Rhine etc.<BR><BR>I just have to make a decision...

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:00 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:11 AM
Therese

Since you like Germany I'm going to suggest one of my favorites, Berlin. Extremely cool place to visit with lots of history (old and new), great culture, etc. Quite different from Bavaria.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:02 AM
bettyk

Mike, I like your Rhine River idea. We just returned from Europe where we spent the night at the Auf Schoenburg Castle Hotel in Oberwesel on the Rhine River. Absolutely loved it. Hated that we didn't have more time to explore this area. Lots of neat towns and castles to visit by car or you can do a Rhine River cruise.<BR><BR>Also enjoyed the area around Lake Constance (Bodensee)-- the largest lake in Europe -- bordering Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Meersburg, Lindau, Stein am Rhein, and Konstanz are just some of the wonderful towns on the lake.<BR><BR>Some websites that may be helpful:<BR>http://www.bingen-ruedesheimer.com/rhine-cruise/index.html<BR>http://www.lake-constance.com/<BR>http://www.hotel-schoenburg.com/

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:34 AM
Mr. Go

Another vote for Merano/Bolzano area.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 02:17 PM
up

up<BR>