venice or vienna for romance

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:05 AM
mandy

venice or vienna for romance

planning a trip next fall and wanted to know which of the two is the most romantic beautiful city to visit with my boyfriend.

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:10 AM
Tom

Venice of course! Just wait until you see it. All those quaint calle and bridges and a gondola ride if you want. Vienna is nice but Venice is sublime.

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:10 AM
maria

I have been to both cities and can tell you that Venice wins, hands down! No comparison. Vienna is OK, but I wouldn't even consider it "romantic".

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Krista

I vote for Vienna. When are you going?? Venice is soooo touristy that it reminded me of going to an amusement park at times. Plus we got lost a lot in Venice so that added to frustration. I was with my boyfriend and other friends from school. I fell in love with Vienna. It was a wonderful mix of the old romantic medievil with the little more modern shopping and conviences. Vienna is definately an exciting town too. Went Salsa dancing with the bartenders from another bar...boy can everyone there dance. I spent a week in Vienna and then a month in Italy (Venice, Rome then Florence) and really thought Italy was a waste of time after my time in Prauge and Vienna.

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:13 AM
Wayne

I've been to both cities several times and you know what? Everyone who has answered you is right. It could be Venice, it could be Vienna; it just depends on your own outlook and on some other less obvious factors.

There's no doubt that Venice, in high tourist season, seems like a big circus sometimes. That doesn't detract from the fact that it is a beautiful city; it just makes it harder to enjoy. In low season, Venice is much more pleasant.

At the same time, Vienna in high season is also beset with tourists, but being a large city it doesn't seem nearly as overcrowded as Venice. And Vienna has more things to see, do, and hear than Venice, no doubt about it. In low season, Vienna too can be most romantic, especially if you like "city-romantic" things like quaint coffee shops, quiet strolls, beautiful palaces, enchanting concerts, great museums, and lovely parks. Of course, Venice has some of these, too; but not in such abundance as Vienna.

So, in conclusion, having been there many times, if I had to make a choice between the two V's, it would boil down to my desire for a broader choice of activities (Vienna) or a smaller range of things and a smaller venue (Venice). If it were spring or late fall, I'd probably choose Venice. If it were summer or early fall, I'd probably choose Vienna. If it were winter, I'd have to let my impulses be my guide.

Oct 21st, 2002, 01:21 PM
italiana

Venezia! With all the canals and mist, you can't go wrong! It is the most romantic of cities and one of my favorites!

Oct 21st, 2002, 01:26 PM
SA

Venice, easily of the 2 mentioned. Paris would be my first choice..

Oct 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Jackie

Anything Italian is romantic. Venice is wonderful. Have you considered Rome or Florence as well? Florence is very wonderful for romance. Here is a piece I wrote about my experiences with love in Florence if you are interested:

http://www.thelongtriphome.com/archives1spot1201.html

Oct 21st, 2002, 01:46 PM
Lana

I personally think Paris is the most romantic city in the world but between your 2 choices I would say Vienna with time in Salzburg and surrounding countryside (Lake Wolfgang etc.) --don't forget the incredible Sound of Music Alpine scenery--this is hard to beat for romance! You could take a train from Vienna to Venice if you want to see both. One week in either city is too much.
If weather is important it will be much nicer in Italy if you are going in November.