Search

How do you manage your post box..when you are on vacation

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you manage your post box..when you are on vacation

Hi All

I just want to know..How you guys are managing your regular postbox or other communications which are geo specific.

I am expecting some checks to come ...so want to make sure they are in time.

Your inputs are valid to me as I am facing issues regarding this.

Thanks

Vara
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM

The post office will hold your mail for you while you are gone. You can choose to pick it up personally when you get back or have your mail carrier deliver it all to you in one bundle. If you need checks deposited, that's another story. Can you enlist the help of a trustworthy friend?
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM

I do as Lynn says above.

regards - tom
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM

Also as above OR if you can prepay some bills.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM

Yeah, good point sandi. I prepay all utility bills and all credit cards are balanced out (or even have some plus credit balance). So never have late fees etc. And along those lines, call your card people and tell them you will be using card overseas. Otherwise they see a charge come in from Awamdabu and they will not pay and freeze card use.

regards - tom
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM

An African Safari is all about getting away from that. Leave it behind as the animals have not got Internet. Leave it behind. I cannot emphasize it enough. I had guests arrive this morning from Manhattan NY and hubby was kitted out for a trip on the Space Shuttle while wife was really cool. More and more lodges are giving guests Internet access which is destroying the safari experience. Why come on safari if you are going to bring the stress with you. LEAVE IT BEHIND.

Yours on Safari
Mark
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM

Mark: sound advise.

However accessing the internet for many people is critical to their livlihoods consequently places that do not offer it are missing out on an opportunity. Here in the US internet access from Cafes, lobbies, public parks, trains, planes and hotels is pretty much standard fare. I don't for a moment believe that this is destroying the safari experience....
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM

Safari experience - ON GAME DRIVES no guest gizmos that make noise. Except for cameras . In camp, telephone, internet, whatever, as long as it does not disturb me or make me late for meals .

regards - tom
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM

mkhonzo
I agree with your thoughts but then make other plans like giving control to someone they trust for the time they are on safari. I have seen it so many times when guests finish their morning game drive and breakfast and then head for the internet room where they spend 4 to 5 hours tapping on the keyboard. They really miss out on the true atmosphere and ambiance of Africa. There is a lot more to an African Safari than just seeing the Big Five. Take a walk around the camp, listen to the sounds, even look and see insects that you have never seen before who share your planet with us. There is so much to experience and I to this day still am fascinated by the new things I see and discover. I have been going into the bush since I was 5 years old and I remember so well the days I spent in Kruger with my late Dad who was an Honorary Ranger in the 60s and 70s. In those days Kruger was very different to what it is now with reference to the camps. In those days my Dad and Mom used to fetch me and my sister from primary school on a Friday at 12PM and we headed straight out to Kruger which was a 450km drive. I still do it today. The bungalos were simple Rondavels with a pole in the middle and four single beds with pots underneath them (en-suite facilities?). Thats Africa. We used to wake up at 04h30 and there was a communal fire going with huge black kettles boiling your water for coffee. I can still see it now and smell it. That to me is what I want my guests to experience, the true feel of Africa.

I hope I made sense

Yours on Safari
Mark
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:42 AM

Folks, I have to tell this story. In fact like many others I am planning to write a book, but that I will reveal later.
Ok, picture the scene. Its on a river cruise on the Chobe River. Its a Sunday and Celeste and I are at a restaurant having a lovely lunch. My cellphone rings and I answer. Its a call from a very wealthy California Laywer. But he is supposed to be on Safari right now and he is. He is calling me from his Satelite phone to complain about how many other cruises there are around him. I choke on my food, I am dumbfounded. So I fired him as a client.

Yours on Safari
Mark
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:36 AM

Oops
Wrong message
Leave the Modern World and Google out.
LEAVE IT AT HOME
Can you see that, what I asked, that she pointed, where I asked, OH That ???

Yours on Safari
Mark
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM

I am only responding because I find your comments entertaining.

I'd prefer the guy was spending his money in Africa tapping away at his keyboard (between game drives) rather than watching it on TV at home.

Your nostalgic moments are just that. I suspect that for many in Africa a faucet and flowing hot water are preferable to making a fire at 04h00 dark! While the chamber pot should have disappeared around the industrial revolution. I also think that for most visiting Africa that a flushing commode would be far more attractive than your alternate!

And of course I smiled at your story - he should have fired you as his travel planner for sending him on safari to the busiest body of safari water in Southern Africa.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:18 AM

WoW. That is Fast. Just got a confirmed booking.
Thanks Fodors
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM

mkhonzo
It was a late booking, something like 3 months prior in prime time and he is a repeat guest but insisted we do something for his wife's 50th birthday. You cannot expect to get the best in Botswana 3 months in advance. We all know that but he was insistent on bringing his wife to Bots for her 50th and we did the best that we could do.

Yours on Safari
Mark
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM

I'm one with Mark. When I walk away from this screen, even when in NYC, I'm incommunicado. I actually have to remember to take my mobile which phone number I don't even know if someone asked, let along remember to recharge it.

More so when I travel, Africa specifically, when I land I take off my watch for the duration and but for one visit when I accessed my email (waiting on somethis really important) I am totally disconnected. Whatever it might be can wait till I return home.

On a recent trip, meeting a lovely family - parents and three young adult children - after every game drive on return to camp, dad was on his mobile, mom was off in a corner texting and the kids were fighting for their few minutes at the camp's laptop... ugh!

I instead retired to my lovely cottage to be surrounded by otherwise skittish dik-dik, antelope, vervet monkeys and birds fascinated by this human person for the duration I remained there... that's my Afree-kah!
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Way to go Sandi
When Cel and I go to Kruger which is 450 odd kms from our place we do take our laptops so we can be in touch but I limit it to one login in the morning and one in the early evening and thats it. The rest of the time is spent enjoying what we call the Garden of Eden.

Yours on Safari
Mark
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:28 AM
TC

The sounds of Africa stir my heart. Infrequently I will hear an African bird's call in a movie or on the telly -- my ears perk up and my mind rushes back in time to our last trip to Africa. I have African birds on my iPod so that I might fall asleep to that beautiful sound.

During a game drive in southern Tanzania, our guide stopped near a large tree to point out "one of the most famous sights in the area" -- what? The location where from the uppermost branch one could climb and get "three bar" reception on their cellphone.

Just leave it at home!
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM

TC - Reminds me when at Olonana Camp in the Mara, returning nightly from game drives, there was the chef on his mobile at the only fence post where he could get proper reception!
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Just got back from the Airport after guests of mine got back from a serious 12 day safari in the Timbavati, Kapama and Sabi Sands. They visited 4 different lodges and as they came thru I spent almost an hour hearing their experiences. WOW is all I can say and that is why I love this industry so much. I get to share my own love for Africa with folks from all over the world and to see Glee on my Guests faces is priceless.

They did not have and were not interested in Internet Access.

Yours on Safari
Mark