Venice questions

Search

Venice questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice questions

We will be flying into Venice for 3 days in a few weeks, staying in Canaregio, and taking a day trip out to Murano/Burano. In terms of water transportation, is there a special pass/ticket to get, is it worth doing that and how much do water taxis/vaporetttos/ferries cost and which is the best to use?

Also, can anyone recommend a specific glass place to see in Murano? We'd like to see a demo and look around.

Thanks everyone
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM

We bought a 72-hour vaporetto pass which is good for all public water transportation in the lagoon including Murano/Burano. I think that would be worth getting.

There's also the Venice Card (blue and orange, I think).
www.venicecard.com for more info on that.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sharon1306,

Thanks for the info. Can you get the vaporetto pass at the airport? I checked out the site, and am not sure the blue or orange cards are a good deal. Does anyone have any feedback on that? We have 3 days to wander about. Is it worth buying 2 cards, and which is better, blue or orange? Is it worth buying ahead of time?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM

www.venetian-glass.info/foundries.php lists and has links to just about all of the Murano glass foundries. You can e-mail them about visits, showrooms etc.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:08 PM

We just got back from Venice and bought the 72-hour vaporetto pass. You can get it at a number of stations. We were surprised at how little scrutiny there was about tickets. In all the time we were there, we only had our tickets checked twice, and many people seemed to be boarding without tickets.

Many hotels will help you get a free water taxi to Murano if you are going to a glass presentation. You can then go from Murano to Burano on the vaporetto.

We found the water taxi to be very expensive. It cost 90 euros from our hotel in Cannaregio to the airport.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM

The 72 hour vaporetto pass (as well as the other longer term passes) include the vaporetto to Murano. The vaporetto to Murano is smaller and faster than the ones on the Grand Canal. Once you start accross open water, that vaporetto really moves. It's a nice ride out there and there is no need for a water taxi or to be roped into a presentation.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:17 AM

You can buy the vaparetto pass at the airport or buy it online and then pick it up at the airport. The pass will also allow you to ride a bus from the airport to Venice.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, that is quite helpful. Especially knowing not to get roped in from the airport!

Anyone have any info on the blue or orange pass for museums, etc.?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM

Hi Honeybear.

Personally, I don't think the Venice Card is really worth it, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps one day, I might find it worth my while to get.

Check out this thread, which is one of a few out there about this subject.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34874372

Re: the vaporetto pass. Remember, a 24 hour pass validated at 3pm Monday will remain valid until 3pm Tuesday, and is now €12. Here is the site to ACTV, which runs the vaporetto http://www.actv.it/ You can get the system map on this site as well, along with timetables, which you might find helpful.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM

I think you can buy the Venice card in advance on-line and pick it up at the airport but I'm not sure you can buy the 72-hour vaporetto pass that way, unless ACTV has gone electronic recently.

The Venice card gives you entrance to some museums and supposedly to all public bathrooms but I saw signs posted recently on some that "venice card not good for this rest room".

I personally don't believe the Venice card is worth it for 3 days , but used the 72-hour vaporetto pass endlessly a few weeks ago.

From Burano, you can return to Venice via Fondamente Nuove or San Marco. If you choose San Marco, it's a little longer but a lovely boat ride on one of those larger boats that travels via a stop at Lido. You then enter Venice from the lagoon which is beautiful.

However, if you're staying in Cannaregio it would be more convenient to return via Fondamente Nuove if you're going back to your hotel.

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM

You really need to look at the list of what is included in the blue or orange card to see if you plan to go to the places covered by them.

You can buy the 72-hour vaporetto pass at the airport, but note that they don't accept credit cards. You have to pay cash. This pass also covers the orange ACTV bus which you can pick up right outside the airport door and take to Piazzale Roma, where you can get a vaporetto to your hotel (also covered by the pass, of course). (Note the pass does not cover the blue bus from the airport.) Especially if you're buying the pass, this is a very inexpensive way to get to your hotel. There is plenty of room on the bus for your luggage and only one step to get up into it.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Hey, I would like to thank everyone for their help. Sounds like the 72 hour pass is a definite and forget about the orange/blue pass. And a lot more info we will use. We leave on Monday!! ciao!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM

Buon viaggio Honeybear! Have an awesome time!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM

> From Burano, you can return to Venice via Fondamente Nuove or San Marco. If you choose San Marco, it's a little longer but a lovely boat ride on one of those larger boats that travels via a stop at Lido. You then enter Venice from the lagoon which is beautiful.

Regarding what Gattobaci said above, I have done it a few times and like it although it takes a bit longer as Gatto says. Also you have to change at Punta Sabioni to the bigger two-deck boat, that goes to san Marco via Lido. Changing the boat is not complicated. You get off the boat from Burano and the 2nd one arrives usually in about 10-15 minutes just next to the 1st one. When the timing is right, the sunset over Venice when the boat arrives at San Marco is beautiful. Gave me some great photo chances from the upper deck.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that update...I am a photographer, so that would be terrific, if it works out right. Fingers are crossed