Search

Around Venice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around Venice

I am going to be in venice for three days. Is there a pass that will make getting around Venice cheaper/ easier? When exploring do you have to take a water taxi tog et anywhere?
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM

Hi Michelle,

You don't have to take a water taxi at all (they're very expensive). You can get around easily by walking or taking a vaporetto. You can buy a single ticket, 24 pass, or a 72 hour pass for 22E. If you do buy a pass please remember that they end at the same time that they began (they're validated when you buy them). If you're caught using a pass after the time has expired then you will be fined.

More information is available from this web site:
http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php

Click on the English version in the upper left corner.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:21 AM

We got the 24 hr vaporetto pass but I believe there is a 3 day one. Made it easy to hop on and off and get around. It was hot when we were there also and this was a nice breezy break jumping on the boat. I hear people say VEnice is small but ifyou wander the back streets and alleys it takes awhile. We liked takign a boat to an area like the Jewish Ghetto, then wandering for a few hours, then back on the boat to San Giorgio etc.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:23 AM

HI
When you arrive in Venice you can buy a vaporetto pass. Vaporettos (to be proper, it's vaporetti) are large boats used as water buses. There are various lines and routes, with stops fairly close together in most areas along the Grand Canal.
For good info go to www.actv.it and click on English

Water taxis, like taxis everywhere, are private, you hire them to take you to someplace specific. Because it's Venice, they happen to be boats. They are very expensive.

You need some basic info on Venice.
Click on Destinations at the top of this screen, for a start.
I also have a long file; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 10:51 AM

If you buy the vaporetto pass with the Rolling Venice Card, you automatically get a discount on the pass, plus discounts on other places like the Palazzo Ducale. I did this this past November. So, I bought the 72-hour pass for 14-16 euro (vs 22euro), got the Rolling Venice card for free, and I got a substantial discount at the Palazzo Ducale.

I'm at work right now, so I can't give exact amounts, but I'll check at home and post again. hope this helps...

p.s. I bought my pass at the Venice Santa Lucia Station.