Venice October 3 to October 6

Jul 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Venice October 3 to October 6

Hi everyone,

We will arrive in Venice (after spending 9 days in Greece and 3 nights in Rome) by train at 1h17 pm on Friday October 3 and will leave on Monday October 6 at 11h35 am.

We are staying at the Hilton (I know it's not perfect location, but we are using points)

We will be on our honeymoon and we are in our late 20's. We are not really the museum/church types, but we like to walk around, take pictures, eat the local food and treats, have a drink and people watch

Since I am hitting a lot of cities (rome, athens, venice, santorini, mykonos), I don't have a lot of time to detail research each of them, so I'm looking for help to plan our days in Venice.

Friday October 3 (arrive at 1h17 pm)
Saturday October 4
Sunday October 5

Either Saturday or Sunday, we would like to go on a winery tour, any good ones close by?

We would like to see the major tourists attractions, please help us plan these 2 1/2 days with your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Jul 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM

I suggest you forget the tour of a vineyard. It would be too far away and take too much time.

Venice is unique and two and a half days barely gives you time to see the "major tourist attractions". It is good you like to wander, eat, and people watch, Venice is perfect for that. The major sites are well signed so you will have no problem finding them and will discover gems along the way.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM

Actually, you have several months to research and see what most appeals to you. For such an important trip, I would want to focus on what about in each of these cities attracts to us and not others. JMHO but I would hope you picked each of these places for a reason.

I agree with bfrac about the vineyard. If you are interested in wineries, Tuscany is a much better choice.

When in Venice, spend your brief time there enjoying what the city itself has to offer.
Jul 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

of course I will research and I will pick what sounds more appealing to us.....but by getting other people's thoughts on what they liked gives us ideas and we take what we like from them....

we were supposed to do Florence, but then someone on this board told us there were lots of great if not better wineries near Venice....

So what are the sites in Venice that the 2 of you would recommend?

Any lunch/dinner recommendations?
Jul 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM

Tuscany is known for wines. While the Veneto produces wines, I cannot imagine anyone saying that it produces better wines than Tuscany. But then I am a fan of the Super Tuscan's and Chianti's which are produced in that region and we have enjoyed visits to many wineries in the area over the years and we also prefer the cuisine of the region.

I personally much prefer that area to Venice as Italy is much about the food and wine for us.

As for "sites", we enjoyed the Rialto markets and our afternoons on the Lido. And a vaporetto on the Grand Canal when they are not packed can be pleasant as well.

You can use the search feature to pull up lots of restaurant recommendations in Venice.
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM

I did a trip report, and it mentions some of the sights of Venice. It also mentions some of the non-sights too. Calle Zusto, the narrowest street in Venice, the Ponte de Pugni (the Bridge of Fists) and odd things like that. It's rather long.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm
Jul 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Great, this is very usefull, thanks!
Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM

The Veneto produces fabulous wines, like Amarone, but Venice isn't the place to base for touring vineyards. Peter's trip report is a great start for research and all of the many other trip reports have a wealth of information. That is how I begin planning my trips. I think there is a thread titled something like "Post your Italy trip report here". I will see if I can find it for you.

Here is a link to my Venice trip report which focuses on food.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ly-make-it.cfm

It is easier for us to help if you come back with specific questions.
Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM

Here is the thread I mentioned before. This has so much information and is fun reading.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-to-italy.cfm
Jul 22nd, 2009, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

ok, great, thanks!