venice november- is it worth it.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in italy on my honeymoon in november and I am planning on going to venice. I know venice floods at this time of year. Is it even worth it to go to venice in november. Or, would time be better spent some where else. I am tenativly planning on staying in venice for 3 nights and fling into venice.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:36 PM
rex

I'd keep Venice on your itinerary. On average, a "flood" (acquae altae) lasts 3-6 hours in Venice, when it occurs (though it can recur daily). Venice is like a colander sitting on top of a basin of water. A "flood" means that the water comes up from below - - and then drains right back down to where it came from.

Natural "disasters" can occur when you least expect them - - the "great flood" of Florence (1966) was in November; the great floods of Prague and other destinations in the Czech Republic were in August when they would least be expected.

Plan as if they were not possible. Adapt if they come your way.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:46 PM

I had heard Novermber was one of the worst month concerning Acqua Alta. Still
I've been to Venice 4 times in last three years, every time in NOVEMBER. In 20 days(4 times x 5 days), I had one bad acqua alta (still I walked everwhere, using those wooden walkways where needed) and one minor one. Some rainy days but lots of sunny days. Maybe I was lucky or maybe I tend to remember better parts of my trip and forget bad ones. Anyway I'm visiting Venice again 26-30 Nov.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:48 PM

> every time in NOVEMBER

Correction, once was in March.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:40 AM

I was the poster who mentioned the possibility of floods in Venice. Rain is totally expected in November in Venice, it is the heaviest rainfall month, so to say that if floods happen they will be "unexpected" is not correct. (Also the floods in Prague were right on schedule with the 500-year major flood schedule in that part of Europe and bad as it was, it was not the worst flood in the city's long history.)

As this is your honeymoon, you may have certain ideas of what it should be like. Venice is a beautiful city, but if you have thoughts of sitting in a outdoor café in the Piazza San Marco sipping wine, I don't think you will find this in November. The odds are that it will be rainy and about 45 F and that there will be several inches of water in San Marco. This can be beautiful and romantic in its own way, but only if you expect it and want it. I am struck again and again how many people believe that Italy has a warm climate, it does not. Their winters are a bit milder because they are on the Med and not the Atlantic, otherwise Naples would get as much snow as New York does.

I think Rome and Florence are gorgeous in November, no crowds, wet cobblestone streets, bare trees. Really romantic in the original sense of the word. But not everyone's cup of tea. Same with Venice. If Venice still appeals to you, then go. I just wanted you to have the full picture so you are not disappointed.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:34 AM

HI
I guess you already know that in the northern hemisphere November is not the prettiest month. That said, you've chosen Italy, and I'm sure you're planning on bringing an umbrella, a rain coat or jacket, and some waterproof footwear, or at least more than one pair so you can change.

If you're already resigned to some rain, I'd say stay with Venice. It doesn't have as many attractions as Rome or Florence that can keep you busy inside. Venice has museums and churches of course, but its glories are to be found just strolling around in the city, even if you don't go to one museum. Aqua Alta is not dangerous and would make a good story anyway. If it rains every day, you can have coffee and gelato or hot chocolate indoors and just gaze at each other and then go to the Doge's Palace or the magnificent Basilica, and if the weather is fine for a few hours or days, you'll think yourselves very lucky. Go for it.
Congratulations.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I was going to go to venice, but changed my itinerary. I don't even want to think about flooding. I'll save Venice for another time. There is so much more of Italy to see!! I wish I was on my way right now!!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Venice is notoriously rainy in November with many high tides. Not the best choice of month but you could get lucky.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:19 AM

bhinde: definately go ahead and go! We were in Venice in Nov.2000 and loved it, weather and all. It was funny b/c we thought those "tables" lining all the alleys/piazzas were for some kind of craft fair or something- later that day we realized those were platforms for walking above the water! It was so cool to see that phenomenon and have that as a memory too. Unbelievable that for all those years the water has been going in and out of St.Mark's -the beautiful mosaic floors!! Sorry to go on, but Venice is not to be missed. (also, in winter you don't have any odor from the canals) Enjoy&Congrats!