Venice in November?

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice in November?

I'm considering a trip that would have me in Venice in early november. Has anyone been in Venice at that time of year, and how cold is it?
I checked the avg. temps on Weatherbase, but would like the input of those who have been during this time.
also, are the crowds significantly lighter at this time, and would you recommend this time of year?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Our first time in Venice was in early November. It was foggy and gray, so foggy that you could not see the islands from San Marco. This was _incredibly_ romantic and beautiful; walking along silent, foggy canals, deliberately getting lost and finding our way back, seeing San Marco Square for the first time at midnight in the mist, almost empty, was magical. We have been back several times, and this was the best.

BUT November is also the time of acqua alta, the tidal floods. Check your almanac or weather.com for the full moon, and try not to be there then.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, dperry,

we spent 5 nights in Venice last November. It wasn't warm, but pretty sunny most day, and we could eat out at lunch time in our jackets, if it was a sheltered spot. It didn't rain at all. [weren't we lucky?]

It was certainly busy, but not impossibly so, and eased off at night when all the trippers went home. Not sure how it compares to other times of year, cos the last time i'd been was over 20 years ago, and my pictures of the Grand Canal then suggest that there were substantially fewer people!

I would certainly recommend going at that time of year, rather than at peak season, or in the summer.

regards, ann
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your thoughtful replies. i had not considered the acqua alta! i don't do well with cold weather (i live in south florida), i don't mind cool, but hate cold.
thanks again
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM

We visited Venice in November.

PRO: It was not crowded, and early one morning we had St. Marks Square to ourselves!

CON: It was very cold (and it even snowed two weeks later in December).

Woody