Palazzo Querini Stampalia in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've been reading, the Palazzo Querini is open until 10 p.m. Since we'll be in Venice only two full days in mid-December, I'm striving to plan sight-seeing by neighborhood and closing time. Most attractions close earlier in the winter, so I'm excited to find one thing open late. Not that we mind just wandering the streets at night.

Considering that it's open after other museums have closed, is Palazzo Querini worth a visit?
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM

Yes, absolutely. For me, it's not the collection that primarily attracts me, but the interior design by Carlo Scarpa - one of the few examples of excellent 20th century architecture in Venice (and more than that, Scarpa is one of my alltime favourite architects).
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM

Hello, Franco, nice to see you hear again. Any chance that you will be in Venice between November 8 and 17?

Judy (and Franco), please note that, according to the Web site of the Fondazione Querini Stampalia, the interior areas designed by Carlo Scarpa are presently undergoing restoration and are not accessible to the public.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM

Hi Eloise,

yes, I'm back, work is almost over. I'll certainly go to Venice for a few days later this year, but not that quickly - in November, I'm still in the finishing stage of my project.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

Aaaaah - I may have been a bit slow in realizing it, but: are your really going to Venice, Eloise? (Sorry, Judy, for highjacking your thread.) Is it true? How wonderful - didn't you say in spring you'd maybe never come back? I'm glad if you've rethought that sad prediction!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:55 PM

You are obviously wiser than I am, Franco. I think you are less likely to encounter acqua alta than I probably will in November, but the opportunity presented itself and I took it. I'm deliberating whether I should take boots from here or buy them there...
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hi franco!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

Absolutely, Judy-and brava to you for mentioning one of the not well-known "jewels" of Venice that the locals visit very frequently, as there is a full range of concerts by budding opera singers, musical concertos, whathaveyou IN ADDITION TO their without peer Venetian art collection-not to mention the "museo" itself- a stunning 15th cent. jewel of a palazzo that shows you what a wealthy home in that period was like. The museum part is open until 6pm by the way, during the week, until 10pm on Friday and Saturday ONLY.

Do you know, Judy, that if you want to go to a concerto put on by the "scuola di musica antica" (school of ancient music) of Venice that you may attend (tickets are like 10 Euro or so) EVERY fRIDAY AND SATURDAY at 5 and also at 8:30PM-in the "sale" the gorgeous living room of the palazzo-truly, you should not miss this, if possible.

Now, I just read in the Venice newspaper "il Gazzettino" that there will be a "cena" series of dinners for 25 Euros/pp in December (I think this is for the locals-you would have to speak Italian, or just fake it pretty well!) where leading Venetian intellectuals will discuss various and sundry topics, and do poetry (oh, THIS is why I love Venice so-a population in my age group-and all that arty elitist stuff as well!) Would love to go to this!

DO VISIT the very mod and stylish "caffeteria" in the bottom-which, in conjunction with the Albergo Barbarigo, has a great selection of lunch and dinner entrees, and late night snack items, where they will have live jazz music at times here as well (it will stay open later than the palazzo itself). Very laid back Venetian vibe, good food, good drinks (coffee drinks esp.)

Last but CERTAINLY not least-their excellent "biblioteca" bookshop-but much more than this! Excellent modern and Renaissance Venetian art books, and other intellectual treatises of course, however, you may find some GREAT gifts here, featuring young Italian designers-there is jewelry, glass objects of course (but artisan glass, not the mass produced stuff)also design objects for the home, beautiful silk scarves, well, you get the idea-you have to check it out.

In "must-sees" for Venice? Querini Stampalia on my list goes behind the Palazzo Ducale and Ca' Rezzonico. This is a place where you will see many Venetians. Enjoy.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

Oh, I wouldn't worry about acqua alta. The worst thing to be encountered is that you'd be caught in your accomodation for a few hours, which won't be that bad (I guess you'll have a nice one!). And "normal" acqua alta, with just a few large puddles in the S. Marco area, is by no means terrible - on the contrary, I love the Piazza with some acqua alta, the bell tower being mirrored in the water: a sight of surreal beauty...
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM

Hi nessundorma!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for drawing these concerts and this venue to my attention. I'm off to Venice next week for a few days to sing in a choir, and have been looking for musical things to do during the rest of the time. This looks great, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else!
Ann
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM

You'll love it, Ann, I keep meaning to talk about Querini Stampalia, but for some reason never do, until Judy's post. They have quite a revolving modern art collection on the top floors as well-in other words, this palazzo is a beehive of activity!

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all.
Glad I gave some of you a chance to get together again!

I saw in the website about the construction, but couldn't get it in intelligible English so wasn't sure how extensive it was and what would be open. We will be there Friday and Saturday night, so can take advantage of the late closure those evenings. We would be thrilled to attend a concert there. And to eat there too. So here's hoping they'll be open for business!

Thank you, Girlspytravel, for your extensive reply.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM

I was very grateful to have waterproof Rockport boots the day I stepped out of my Venice hotel in December 2004 to see an unavoidable, several-inch-deep pool of water. I stepped through it with no problem whatsoever. So I would take normal-looking, but waterproof, boots.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM

The good thing about the music concerts at QS is that they are NOT of the touristy version-you know, the period costumes and the Vivaldi concerts that are strictly for tourists-(not saying these are not enjoyable, but I am saying they are touristy) these are concerts put on by local Venetian artists arising out of their music schools.