Venice in the Rain

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Venice in the Rain

Oops - posted this without the Italy search topic selected.

Ok, so I know I can't trust the weather channel, but it says rain every day in Venice for the next 10 days. We arrive next Friday (the 22nd).

Any suggestions for the best things to do when it rains? We'd planned to just wander around, but maybe that isn't the wisest given the forecast.

We'll be happy just sitting in a cafe sipping wine and relaxing, but any other ideas would also be appreciated! Also, any recommended bars or cafes for sitting and whiling away a rainy day?

Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM

I was in Venice in Dec. and with the exception of one day when it belted down, there was rain/mist almost everyday yet it doesn't really bother you. It makes the city more atmospheric. Bring a rain hat and/or jacket with hood since it's hard maneuvering with an umbrella on the narrow calles (streets). Make sure you have rubber soled shoes for the cobblestones.

Museums, churches and shops are the obvious answer for getting out of the rain in addtion to eating and drinking.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Yes, do wear a rain coat and some kind of hat, in case you give up on your umbrella. Have you ever been to Venice? Some of the streets are really narrow - like "single file" narrow; you and another person with an unbrella could not pass each other on lots of the streets.

Bring along a few plastic bags from the grocery store; that way, if you enter shops or restaurants dripping wet, you can place your hat or umbrella in the bag, to help prevent slick spots.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM

It rained on us last April but the worst part was the horrible wind and cold. An umbrella was worthless.

Dress in layers and stop for cappucino often! Do lots of snuggling.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Try the Peggy Guggenheim museum for art and also a pleasant cafe. Have hot chocolate at Florian's. The Museo Correr has a cafe, so you can wander through the exhibits and then sit down for a cup of something. Many cafes have outdoor canopies that you can sit under if it rains, also. On Burano, the lace museum is interesting, and there's a cafe with a canopy almost next door (sorry -- can't recall the name).
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM

We were in Venice late Dec. and first of January and it rained everyday and was bitterly cold. Didn't seem to bother us any. We just pulled up our hoods and kept going. We were so excited to be in Venice that we really didn't seem to notice the rain.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Venice has an absolutely incredible collection of churches and museums. Surely you can find plenty to do indoors. If all else fails, there is great shopping.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Don't let the rain stop you from doing anything you would do otherwise. We were in Venice at the end of May and it was misty/rainy at least half the time we were there. It was stragely pleasant, and the mist and grey-blue sky made the atmosphere dreamy for me. However, I found carrying an umbrella bothersome due to the narrow streets. Have fun!