Notices

Venice in the Rain

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice in the Rain

We are going to be in Venice next week. The forcast during our stay is rain every day. Besides having an umbrella and rain coat, is there anything else we should know about Venice in the rain?
RHINOWIN is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:31 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice in the rain is still Venice. A very cold rain last December did not hamper us one bit. Just opened our umbrellas and enjoyed it. I will say that the hot wine at the Rialto market sure did taste good right about then.
granbury is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 04:53 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,079
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in a downpour in Venice in June. In the main square the "drains" were actually exploding with water coming UP out of them. There was alot of standing water as a result. Be sure you have footwear that can stand getting very wet!
Kristinelaine is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not only seen rain in Venice, but acqua alta as well (street floods). Didn't faze us one bit.

Raining is the time to explore museums such as Accademia, Scuola San Rocco, the Basilica, other churches, Doge's Palace, etc. If the rain falls lightly as it did during my November visit, it's tolerable to walk in for short to moderate distances.

Stop in lots of the bars for snacks and drinks, and just relax. Venice in the rain beats the heck out of anyplace in the world with sunshine.
Ralphie is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am actually glad it rained one day when we were in Venice...really hard...we ran thru the streets, shops were open, museums uncrowded, restaurnats/cafes everywhere wide open. The next day was sunny & the streets were so crowded it was like Disneyland. We preferred the rainy day!
PeggyE is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,989
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were there this time 2 years ago and had a bit of on and off rain. My only suggestion would be maybe some Wellies to keep your feet dry. Personally I hate walking around in wet shoes and socks.
swalter518 is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,287
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be prepared for the high water - they will put out these walking platforms on the major walkways but try to have some footwear as well. Some hotels have boots on hand, I think. I always wondered if you could just put plastic bags and rubber bands over shoes and hope the fashion police don't lock you up! Never had to use the plastic bags I packed just in case. It is actually interesting to see the high water phenomena and there is alot to do at indoor venues in Venice as well - be sure to take a vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal at high tide - it is fascinationg to see how the water goes up into the grand houses.
suec1 is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:30 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,151
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get too worried about the forecast; it may not turn out that way. Last year, we had a negative weather forecast for our trip to Italy, and it sprinkled for a few minutes one day, and that was it. Remember that "partly cloudy" can mean clouds on and off all day (keeps it cooler), and that 40% chance of rain still means there's a 60% chance of no rain. AND, generally speaking, it's unlikely to rain 100% of each day.

One thing I do remember about rain in Italy, especially in Venice, is that sidewalks tend to be narrow. A smaller umbrella (or just a good raincoat) sometimes is easier to manuever around other people.

We'll be in Venice the week after you, so I'm watching the weather forecasts as well!
Lexma90 is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM
  #9  
LJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,759
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Guggenheim and the Ghetto Museum are both perfect rainy day fare and a nice antidote to too much Renaissance art (oh yes, there is such a thing...).
LJ is offline  
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,605
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was raining hard on Wed when we left via a boat taxi at 10am. There were virtually no boats on the canal, and I'm wondering if the vaporettos limit service at all?
Travelnut is offline  
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,069
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of the best pictures I have ever taken, anywhere, at any time, came from a single 5-hour rainy period in Venice. As I type this, I am looking at 3 of them I have framed and hanging in my office.

I ruined a pair of shoes that day, but it was well worth it.
mr_go is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
wendie
Europe
10
Feb 12th, 2010 08:59 AM
fluff224
Europe
20
Jun 3rd, 2007 04:48 PM
mw2006
Europe
19
Sep 17th, 2006 07:43 PM
SueZ
Europe
5
Jan 9th, 2006 01:51 AM
Pam
Europe
7
Aug 13th, 2002 07:12 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO