Rain while in vacation in Italy

Oct 12th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Rain while in vacation in Italy

Hi, just want to share to those who went on a trip in Italy in a rainy or shower weather.

We are leaving next week but there is a shower and rain forecast. Our first week is in Venice.

Did this kind of weather affect your mood while in a trip in Italy? I should post this in rave and rants but I would like to hear about rain experience specific to Venice, Rome and southern Italy.

Oct 12th, 2005, 02:47 AM

Aside from occasional drizzle which is more annoying than trip-busting and which is also to be expected, especially when it's not summer, I once had a heavy downpour on one of my four days in Venice. I put on short rain boots, had a good raincoat, and an umbrella, and explored the Jewish Ghetto and the Ca'd'Oro museum, because that was what I'd intended to do that day. I could as easily have adjusted the itinerary to spend the day in a museum or two.

Weather can be annoying, and it may not optimize the experience, but there's just no point on dwelling on it since we can't do anything about it.
Having the right clothes and gear is key.

I will add, Venice streets are especially atmospheric when they are wet, and it's nighttime.
Oct 12th, 2005, 04:12 AM

We were in Venice in late August and had a morning of very heavy rain, and a couple of evenings that it rained heavily.Just bring a good umbrella and change your plans to spend a little longer in a museum or two. You will still enjoy walking in Venice, it is beautiful in the rain! One rainy evening, my son and I ran back to our hotel in the rain. I had to take my shoes off so I wouldn't slip going over the bridges. We laughed the whole time. It was one of the most memorable evenings of our trip!
Oct 12th, 2005, 05:27 AM
LJ

We were touring Puglia in Southern italy in November a couple of years ago, and though mild, the weather had turned very wet. We did the museum thing,trullis, Alberobella and Ostuni and tried to keep our spirits up, but by Day Three of this, it was a little overwhelming. Then...the sun broke through and for the first time in my life I saw a double rainbow, complete and interlocking, on the horizon...all was forgiven!
Oct 12th, 2005, 05:36 AM

This time of year it will rain in Italy. Just be sure you are prepared: have a hooded parka and/or an umbrella and be sure to have a flexible itinerary so you can concentrate on indoor things when it rains and be outdoors when it is nice. We just returned from 18 days in Italy and had rain parts of 3 days. It didn't hamper our enjoyment at all.
Oct 12th, 2005, 05:43 AM

One of my most wonderful and romantic memories was a day when it was raining heavily in Rome and I spent several hours walking through the city.

I didn't have "appropriate" gear, just a tiny travel umbrella, but after a very short time, I didn't care whatsover, and just sort of tuened myself over to the downpour, dripping wet and wandering through a maze of backstreets, happily losing my way a couple of times.

Every once in awhile I stopped and huddled in a doorway with some other people and watch the rain pour down. Cozy, and fun.

Rainstorms in Rome have a way of equalizing things and washing away many of the ordinary tensions that go with running around do tourist things. The rain brings all the subtle colors of ancient walls to life, and the sounds of the city become more vivid. The cobblestones are as shiny as patent leather.

Stopping in a bar for an espresso and to dry off is fantastic in rainy weather!

I enjoy traveling in Italy in all seasons, so to me, weather just gives another opportunity to see things in a different way. It does affect my mood, and probably intensifies it. But then Italy is one of the best places in the world to have intense moods.

I was last in Venice a few years ago in wintertime (Feb), so can't help you there, but I imagine that she looks very beautiful in the rain. Stay warm, and have a great trip.
Oct 12th, 2005, 06:06 AM

>>there's just no point on dwelling on it since we can't do anything about it.<< Here's what I "do about it":

Into any itinerary I create from home, I allow a day or two for such a contingency. Of course this is easier to do in a city (where there are indoor attractions) than in the countryside. On this board I often see action-packed itineraries that don't take (bad) weather into account.

>>It didn't hamper our enjoyment at all.<< On our recent trip in September, we had a rainy day in Tuscany and, even though I had such a day to spare, it nevertheless impacted on "our enjoyment". It's hard to reconcile, when Time is such a valuable commodity (especially when on holiday), not being able to get out and go. I can't deny that we were anxious, looking out the window of our villa every 5 minutes searching for a break in the clouds...

P.S. To while away the time, I ended up drawing floor plans, sections and elevations (I'm an architect) of the villa, having no tape measure or drawing tools with me. Just as I was about done, at about 3pm, it stopped raining and we jumped in the car and when we arrived in Pienza, the sun was just breaking through!
Oct 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM
aj

I have two great memories of rain in Italy...Venice,late one evening,after a Vivaldi concert, walking back to our hotel in the RAIN through the empty streets...Priceless! The other a sudden rain shower in Rome, we were taking shelter off the street and a shope owner invited us in, I found a "priceless" treasure in her shop I would not have found if not for the rain...
Moral to the story enjoy the "showers of blessings"
Oct 12th, 2005, 06:45 AM
PJI

I'd rather be in Italy in the pouring rain any day than be at my house dry.
Oct 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM

One of my most memorable moments on a recent trip to Rome involved a sudden rainpour after visiting the Colosseum and Forum. My friend and I sought shelter under one of the kiosks across the street from the Colosseum, on the Metro stop side, along with an Italian family - father, mother, and two children. We were all squished into a small space and it was fun (and cute) to hear them joking in Italian among themselves. Even if I wasn't fluent in Italian and didn't understand what they were saying, it was one of those universal human moments, where you feel connected to others.

On a separate trip to Rome I remember it raining heavily when I was in the Pantheon area, and when the rain stopped the colors on the buildings seemed saturated in color, and the cobblestones a rich and shiny black color. I took many artistic pictures (but avoided being in most, because of the bad hair!).
Oct 12th, 2005, 07:31 AM

We were in Italy back in Feb and it rained almost everyday when we were in Rome and we had a downpour on the day we went to Pompeii. However we still enjoyed the trip very much. Just make sure you have a flexiable itinerary like the others stated and bring waterproof (Gortex or other brands) parka with hood and also a pair of waterproof shoes. To me as long as my feet and body is dry, it doesn't matter at all. We did skip a part of Pompeii because of the rain but the place is so beautiful when the rain stopped and the sunshine just broke through to shine on the ruins and the clouds disappeared from the tip of Mt. Vensuvus. We went with my 2 young sons and even they fully enjoyed the rainy days by stepping into puddles and splashing water... So just bring the right gear and enjoy!
Oct 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM

ttt for travelhook, hoping you get more suggestions for keeping away the "precipitation doldrums" I've noticed lots of rainy days in the 10 day forecast for Rome and Naples this month. Hoping for a dry November for our two week visit Deborah
Oct 12th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Hello travelhook, you have been giving a lot of good advice and wonderful memories of those that have been in Italy when the rain storms arrive. And I agree with them. Some of my most memorable times have been when it has rained. And the thunder/electrical storms are fantastic, Mother Natures showtime.

Unless you really hate winter storms the weather should not affect your mood at all. Just enjoy the weather, you will be seeing Italy as the resident
Oct 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Sorry, somehow my post got posted before I was finished, LOL.

Anyway, you will be seeing Italy as the residents of Italy live it. The winter dishes of Italy are wonderful also. Enjoy every moment!!