Search

venice hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice hotels

Hi,
I am looking at B&B's in Venice for May 17-21 & am having NO luck at all. Is there something going on that week or is it normally that booked?

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Yes, there is a conference of cardiovascular surgeons during those dates.

BC
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Were you trying online booking services? Some of them may not allow booking this early. Try contacting the hotels directly.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Michelle-I went to www.veniceby.com, put in your dates, and came back with 360 properties in Venice available, so I'm not sure what you're doing, but there's no problem there.

Try this hotel in San Marco HOTEL CENTAURO 93.50 Euros a night, double, some with canal views, with a/c and a lovely breakfast room, great location, good reviews on tripadvisor.com:

www.veniceby.com/centauro/index.html

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Michelle-I think you may get a better rate by going to their website-but contact them by email to make sure:

www.hotelcentauro.com
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How are your searching?

I have always just contacted the hotels directly myself.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ya'll!! I was on Venere.com. Girlspytravel- thanks for the link. That's in our budget & looks amazing!

I don't know if I can wait 6 months to go!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 07:35 AM

Michelle, a few things: I'm not sure what you were doing on venere.com, but I went online to check, and they show 118 properties available during your time period, most of them quite expensive-May is high season in Venice, so you will be paying top dollar for hotel rooms, plus, the hotels have had to raise their rates, due to cuts in the budget across the board in Italy, which hit Venice particularly hard.

That said, however, I did notice Hotel Centauro is available on venere.com, too, and the rate is more than what you will pay by going to the hotel website directly-during this time period, the hotel's own website shows rates like 170E/nt. double, for your time period, with canal view rooms more-however, taking a look at the pictures of the lovely breakfast room, (veniceby.com does really good pictures of the hotel property) which sits on a canal and faces some lovely ancient palazzo, I think this hotel would be a good choice. Plus, it's about a 5 minute walk from the Piazza San Marco, (Campo Manin) and near the exquisitely beautiful La Fenice opera house.

Remember: an absolutely must-do in Venice is to go over to the theatre and sign up for one of their English language tours-and if possible, try to take in a concert or ballet at night-it will be a true highlight of your trip.

Also, I would make the advance reservation to take in the brand new tour of the ancient 500 year old newly remodeled Clock Tower in Piazza San Marco. This tour goes up the windy staircase to the top of the tower, and takes in the clock mechanisms (the ancient clock tower keepers would live in the Tower with their families) and it ends up on the terrace with that great view of the piazza and the water. The cost of the tour is 12 Euros, minimum two people. You can reserve a tour at the below website or call the number provided:

http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/f...;tit=biglietti

I'm sure, Michelle, that if you're like most of us who go to Venice, your upcoming visit will most assuredly not be your last!
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:16 AM
MaureenB

Here are some B&B-type hotels in Venice that get good reviews:

Hotel Riva- a one-star recommended by Rick Steves, where we stayed last May, with a great corner canal-view room 1, overlooking the confluence of two canals with singing gondoliers. Nice breakfast room, very plain breakfast offering with great coffe, very simple furnishings, but also very clean and charming. Contact directly for best rate, may be a discount with Steves' book.

Casa Rezzonico- My daughter stayed there once and liked it. Its rates are in the range of the Hotel Riva. Address: Dorsoduro, Fondamenta Gherardini 2813, www.casarezzonico.it. It is in a quiet, out-of-the-way location, near a small campo, close to the Accademia. It has an attractive garden area in the center, which some rooms overlook, and where breakfast buffet is served. A good budget choice.

Pensione La Calcina- gets rave reviews by Fodorites. Fills up several months in advance. We had breakfast at their lovely waterside cafe, and looked in the lobby, spoke with the receptionist. An exceptional value if you can get a room there. Also has canal views.

Slightly more upscale choices which we looked into while in Venice:
Dona Palace Hotel, four-stars, San Marco 391. www.donapalace.it. It overlooks the Rio of Palazzo Ducale, the Bridge of Sighs canal.

Hotel American, three-stars, San Vio, 628 Accademia, www.hotelamerica.com. An “antique palace”, it also faces a nice little canal, the San Vio, in the Dorsuduro area, with a pleasant first floor terrace café.

Hotel Bruno, three-stars, Castello, Salizzada S. Lio 5726/A, www.hoteldabruno.com.

Have fun planning!
>-

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
MaureenB

P.S. I forgot this one:
The Hotel Colombina is a four-star hotel, located at Calle del Remedio, Castello 4416. It looked like a very classy and pleasant hotel, in true “Venetian” style of design, facing a small canal. The front desk personnel were very helpful in setting us up on the wi-fi, even though they knew we were not patrons of the hotel itself.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM

You can try the Ca' Morosini to see if they have availability. It's related to the Locanda Fiorita. Never stayed at either place, but if I visit Venice I'd like to try the Ca' Morosini (has no elevator btw-typical for Venice).

www.camorosini.com