Reload this Page >

Why are Venice hotels so expensive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Gayle

I have been trying to book a room for a several night stay in September in Venice using information posted by others about hotel in Venice. What I have discovered is that the prices being charged there are unbeliveable. My husband and I usually stay in 4-5 star hotels whenever we travel. However, we have never had to pay the kind of prices it seems like Venice hotels are charging in cities like New York, San Francisco, London, Paris, Amsterdam or Rome. Anybody have any ideas for a nice, centrally located 4-5 star hotel in Venice where one can get a room for $350-400 or less per night.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:28 AM
rnr

Suggest you contact the Hotel Flora in Venice and request one of their larger rooms. Their price is well under what you've quoted. This is a 3 star, but it includes breakfast served in bed. Totally charming, full Venetian experience, you can hear the gondoliers singing, there are cats in the ivy outside you room. The Flora has a website. The location is perfect - near vaporetto stop 15, San Marco - walkable - not far from the Gritti (where you'll pay $500 plus a night) - and do not take a heavy suitcase. When you book, do be sure to ask Flora to book you a table at Da Fiore for dinner or lunch. A fabulous experience you'll never forget. Such food. And of course you must enter Venice on the public boat from Marco Polo - it is unforgettable.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:32 PM

[email protected]

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Larry

I loved Hotel Metropole. It has a great location down the lagoon from the Doges Palace. It is 4 stars and I just looked on Venere.com and rooms are running 390 per night in Sept. Have fun...I loved Venice

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Capo

Venetian hotels can charge what they do because there's no shortage of people willing to pay the prices. It's a fantastic city and, consequently, draws a lot of visitors. <BR><BR>We had a great place, a charming locanda in the Dorsoduro sestiere, for just a little over $100/night, so one can actually stay in Venice quite inexpensively.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Frank

Try the Europa Regina, good 4+ star hotel, less expensive than the Gritti and Danieli and situated between the two. We were able to do it for about $400 a night.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Jean

Sorry, but I'm a Flora Hotel basher. I think it's overpriced. I'd look in areas away from San Marco; recommend the Dorsoduro area.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:14 PM
topper

ttt

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Beverly

We just returned from our trip last week, and paid 176 euro for a corner room overlooking the Giudecca canal (in Dorsoduro) that was great. The place is La Calcina, and it's an easy walk - even with luggage - from the Zattere vaporetto stop.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Susan

Beverly... i LOVE Pensione La Calcina!! Have stayed there twice. See it at www.lacalcina.com. Lovely hotel, cool, quiet, well-run, nice breakfast included in a tiny dining room or on the patio on the canal. Non-view rooms are even less expensive. I thought the location was perfect. Plenty close in but enough off the beaten track to be a bit out of the madness and crowds (maybe a 10-15 mins. walk to San Marcos).

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Topper

ttt

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:31 AM
traveler

Try the Albergo Paganelli. Right on the Grand Canal, in front of Vaporetto stop. 5 mins. from St. marks. great service, prices, location.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Dayle

Albergo Paganelli is charming & I've stayed there twice since it fits my price range. BUT, it is definitely not a 4 star. Fodor's rates it a 1 star, but I think it's better than that.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:07 PM
fran

Gayle,<BR><BR>The Metropole is one of my favorite hotels. I too have stayed in many of the best hotels in the cities you mention and assure it will hold up. Great location, too, and really a bargain compared to the other luxury hotels in Venice. I've stayed at Gritti, Danielli, and Europa in the past but now alwys use the Metropole.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:19 PM
mike

http://www.hotelamerican.com/

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:00 AM
sue

I also vote for La Calcina. We LOVED it! We stayed there the end of may and had a room with 2 big windows which overlooked the guidecca canal. It was wonderful.<BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:03 PM
sasha

ttt

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:48 PM
terry

Avoid the Flora. We were there in the summer and the room we had was very "tired" and did not feel at all clean. It may hae character, but a little too much perhaps.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:18 AM
DEBBIE

I have been to venice 4 times already and I am already planning another trip in march 2003. I was a fan of westin europa but on my last visit in was fully booked so i opted for the METROPOLE, which was the best thing I ever did in my trip. The hotel has the best breakfast and the concierge couldnt have been more helpful. My favorite part was that the hotel did not feel commercial at all. In the contrary, it had a cosy feel to it.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:48 AM
me

I am also a fan of the Flora. The website is www.hotelflora.it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -