venice hotels

Feb 15th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

venice hotels

Any recommendations for the following hotels: La Residenza, Pensione Accademia or La Calcina?
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:37 PM
rex

Assuming you mean this place - - http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/ - - whoich also goes by its more complete name, Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege, then yes, it is among the highest rated places in all Venice (going by "bang for the buck"). and it has more high ratings on Fodors Rants'n'Raves than any other place in Venice, I think.

It may well be that the law of supply and demand has started to drive their rates up, but still believe that it is widely considered an excellent choice.

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:41 PM

We stayed at La Calcina and wandered over to check out the Accademia. Room prices there were slightly higher than at La Calcina. La Calcina is a lovely three star on the Guidecca Canal. As I have mentioned in earlier posts there is large scale construction going on in front of La Calcina on their outside deck. It was in full swing in late October when we stayed there and it did have an impact(noise,decreased view etc). Other travellers have remarked since that the construction is still underway. I'd write La Calcina and see if the construction is done or scheduled to be finished by the time you plan to visit. While we loved La Calcina, I think we would check out the Pensione Accademia next time we're in Venice.
Feb 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM

having just stayed at pensione accademia maravege (jan 19th - 23rd) i would definately stay there again and recommend it without hesitation. we paid euro 130 per night and would pay double to stay there "in season" if need be. location was great and staff very helpful. definately worth it from our experience.
Feb 16th, 2003, 03:45 AM

We stayed at both P.Accademian and La Calcina last November and our slight preference is to P.Academia because of:
-It's charming entrance way.
-Our room furnished with bright(venetien?) colors vs La Calicina's rustic furniture. A matter of taste.
-Breakfast was better with a larger breakfast room and 2-3 times bigger buffet than La Calcina's. I find the quality of the food a bit better too.

The huge construction in front of La Calcina that PamSF mentioned finally did not bother us so much though it was a letdown.

We paid:
P.Accademia, 155 euro for a standard room facing a small canal which Grand Canal(visible from our room) and Giudecca Canal with a small bath room with only a shower stall and no tub.
La Calcina, 145 Euro for a corner dbl room facing Giudecca Canal and a side canal. Larger room and larger bathroom with tub.

We would stay at la Calcina again if P.Accademia was fully booked.
May 30th, 2003, 01:26 PM

I stayed at La Residenza and enjoyed it. I found it to be tranquil. The room was small but very clean and tastefully appointed. Lots of antiques. We showed up in Venice with no reservations and finally found this hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to return, but I'd probably try one of the other "fodorites" picks first.
May 30th, 2003, 02:19 PM

The construction in front of the Calcine is finished and the terrace on the water has been replaced (I live next door!)The Pensione Accademia has a nice and quiet garden - you are in trouble with your decision!