Travellers Check/passport-Spain

May 28th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Travellers Check/passport-Spain

Can one carry a photocopy of their passport to cash in travellers cheques or do they need to see the original. From some of the posts I have read I feel quite uncomfortable carrying any valuables on me in Spain-Barcelona. Any suggestions..thx
May 30th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I was in Barcelona,& Madrid for 2 weeks in Dec. '02. I don't think they will accept a photocopy. I hardly used my travellers checks at all though (just on entry at airport exchange booth for petty cash). The availablity, convenience and safety of using ATM's was great. Most of the ATM's were located in the bank, and you needed to slide your card to enter the atm kiosk. And no, no one was lurking about trying to grab my money. I was on my own while there, and really did not encounter problems with safety, as some of these posts would have you believe. Also, most of the large hotels have safes. Just be careful, use a money belt, & be aware of your surroundings. Just like you would in ANY big city. Have fun!!
May 30th, 2003, 01:21 PM

I agree, a copy will not do the trick. As for carrying valuables, I just spent 2 weeks there and had NO problem at all.....
May 30th, 2003, 02:16 PM

I agree with travisblue. I carry no travellers cheques, just a pair of bank cards.

[email protected]
May 30th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. So I'll forget about the p/copy idea. I will just use my visa/amex and ATM cards. Good to know I need not be too paranoid about being pick pocketed. I have traveled in Europe before and not had a problem, but from the many posts on this site I was a little nervous about Barcelona. The one place I was pick pocketted was Vegas - truly blew my mind. Anyway thanks for reassuring me and I am so looking forward to this trip.