Search

Construction at La Calcina?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Construction at La Calcina?

Hello
I have just made a booking at La Calcina in Venice but have heard that there is some construction work going on. Is this true? We are due to visit in May 2004 and would like to have some peace. Any help appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM

I stayed in La Calcina in December - didn't see any construction (though this web site said some was going on?)... I think you are fine...
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:54 PM

From another recent thread...

"The construction site that was there this Spring is now completed and only a small piece remains in front of the Gesuati. They've also turned their Zattere patio into a full-blown restaurant called, La Piscina, and the patio decoration is spectacular. The indoor dining room is located next door and looks quite cozy. There are some wonderful changes taking place at La Calcina, making this one of the most lovely boutique hotels available in Venice today."

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Having stayed at La Calcina and arriving for the major construction in Fall of 2002, I recommend you do this: e mail them and ask for specifics regarding construction. Ask also if this is going on in the proximity of your room. We had booked (months and months in advance) the room in front with a terrace. When we arrived the crane was smack dab in front of that window and the construction began early each morning. We asked why we had not been advised of this in time to change our booking to which the response was 'we only knew about it two weeks ago". We asked to change rooms and were told they were booked. I still lost my heart to Venice but also paid top$ for the room with a terracdw which was unusable for a great deal of the time.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Sorry you had to endure that, PamSF.

As stated above, the construction is over and La Calcina and that corner of the Zattere is as beautiful as ever. I was just there.