LA CALCINA vs PENSIONE ACCADEMIA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone has stayed at BOTH of the popular above-named pensiones. I have stayed at the Accademia and liked it very much, and I have walked past La Calcina on the Zattere, so I know its location.

The question I'm mulling over is: As much as I enjoyed the Accademia, is its 155-Euro Single room that much better than a 106-Euro Single room with Giudecca Canal view at La Calcina? Both include breakfast and (I think) taxes. La Calcina has more stairs to climb if I happen to draw the top floor.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't compare as I've only stayed at La Calcina, twice, but I love that hotel. And it's so much cheaper, that would certainly be my pick.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I have stayed at both, I stayed first at Pensione Accademia-Maravege then at la Calcina once. Afterwards, I returned to Accademia twice so you see my preferece (not a huge preference though). La Calcina's room was rustic, bare wood furnitures, over all plain. Accademia had more Venetian taste decor, a bit more luxuriuos (more luxurious only by comparison to la Calcina). The brekafast buffet was better to at Accademia. La Caclina has the large Giudecca canal view vs Accademia's charming small canal. I like both. €155 single room must be high season price. I had a single room once in low season for €80 at Accademia, canal/front side. The room was sort of narrow and the bathroom tiny but I was happy. You would be happy at either but considering the price difference you would appreciate la Calcina for the different things (e.g. breakfast at their deck terrace on Giudecca).
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Actually due to a miscommunication, the 155 price quoted to me was in error; it's really 130, so I may stick with the familiar although unless there's a cancellation, I will be in a back garden-facing room instead of a front view toward the canal.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly, I would do the same. Nothing again La Calcina, but part of why I would stay there again is *because* I know the hotel from previous visits. Like Logan69, you do for Accademia.