Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice hotel for two female college students

Jul 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a Venice hotel for two college girls. I have heard that Venice is very expensive, so I am not sure what to budget for this, but ideally the hotel would be a combination of "reasonable" price, well located ( central and safe) and of course clean. They will be there this weekend, so I am sure they cannot be too choosy, but any ideas would be welcome.
Thank you.
Jul 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM

You can get some idea of costs if you go to a site such as www.venere.com and put in some tentative dates.

Be aware that you won't see ALL the possibilities and I'm not sure how many truly "budget-level" hotels will come up.

Perhaps someone here can give you a link to a truly budget-level site for hotels in Venice.

Jul 31st, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I dont even know what parts of Venice they should try to stay, and we are currently on the road. Any links that recommend budget minded hotels would be great.
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:52 AM

Victoria,

This website focuses on quality, well located, budget hotels. All hotels listed have been recently check out by one of the website staff. Any of the neighborhoods listed, except Cannaregio, are fine.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:46 AM

Although I haven't used them myself, I have read other threads/postings on this forum about convents and other hostel type accommodation in Venice and other Italian cities. You might try a search of Fodors to find them.
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:21 AM

Hi Victoria,

I just recently booked for 3 nights at CA' Del DOSE
Castello, 3801 - 30122 Venezia
Tel/Fax +39 041 5209887

www.cadeldose.com

They have August specials of 75 Euros for 2 nights or 65 Euros for 3 nights, including breakfast.

I liked their quick response to my emails and the friendly way they replied. I also liked the amount of information they sent me as directions to their place, including a very good map.

They are also mentioned favourably in Trip Advisor.

Good luck!
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:54 PM

I'm not sure why Cannaregio is considered an unacceptable neighborhood. Maybe you don't want to be within a block or so of the train station (although it's not unsafe, and quite convenient), but many parts of Cannaregio are very appealing. I stayed at this hotel in Cannaregio and found it a very nice hotel for the price:
http://www.laforcolahotel.com/en/index.htm
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:02 PM

Try this site, which will list all registered accomodations in Venice:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=437
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:17 PM

Victoria, first of all, Cannaregio is not only my favorite area of Venice, and the only area in which I rent apartments, but it is considered the authentic heart of the city, as it is where most Venetians live-and it is charming in every respect. Most of the highly rated pensione and hotels are located in the Cannaregio area-so an awful lot of people must like this area, with its wonderful local bars and osteria-particularly the area around vaporetto stop Ca d'Oro-this area is where I would advise you to stay if you want to get a hotel, however, I would like to suggest that you might like to stay in this quite nice convent/youth hostel, DOMUS CIVICA, if you can get in-located in San Polo, which is also a wonderfully located area of Venice just across the canal from Cannaregio. Single rooms are 35Euros a night:

www.domuscivica.com/uk/ostello.htm

www.domuscivica.com/uk/ostello.htm
Jul 31st, 2006, 09:31 PM

We've stayed at the Hotel Europa -- it's on camp SS. Filippo e Giacomo, Castello 4359...basically if you're facing St. Mark's, its a couple of blocks in behind the cathedral. Phone is 041-423-4810. It also has a sister hotel next door, the Hotel Rio, which has a fax number 041-520-8222 and an e-mail address of [email protected] (it pays to grab a card and save it! . The Rio has a little info on it -- http://www.hotelnetservice.com/italy/venice/rio

I liked the room -- it was clean and spacious -- and you could choose to either have your own bathroom or pay less and share.

I think we paid about $100/night, and it's in a great location.

Don't confuse it with the Westin Europa hotel -- it's much more expensive and has more of a web presence.

Jules
Aug 1st, 2006, 01:20 PM

Victoria, other than the Domus Civica, at 35 Euros a night, you might also want to check out www.eurocheapo.com, and www.hostelz.com

Good luck with your search.