Search

Venice hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice hotel

Please don't hate me for posting a question on this topic as I know there is a plethora of info already, but I do have a specific request.
April 2004 my husband and I are ending our two week Italy trip in Venice for three nights, starting Easter Monday. We're willing to shell out some bucks (do we have a choice in Venice at Easter?!) and we'd like to stay in San Marco area close to the action, in a room with a view. The max we can pay is 350 Euro. Ambiance is important to us too, but we MUST have a view.
What are the favorites?
Thanks to everyone who has already provided good info!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM

The current favorite is Locanda Orseolo, but since it's small, it's unlikely to be available on such short notice. I suggest looking on venere.com where you can search by sestieri (area) & by price & availability. You can also look on tripadvisor.com which will list hotels by ratings (Locanda Orseolo is currently number 1). Try looking at the Metropole.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 11:45 AM

We stayed at Palazzo Sant'Angelo and loved it. We had a room with a view of the Grand Canal up to the Rialto Bridge. It's not too far from San Marco but far enough to be away from the crowds.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Milan and Venice in June last year on a short vacation. We spent a few days in each city. I was quite surprised by the fact that Venice is quite small so I don't think that location is that important. We stayed at Hotel Continental over by the train station and we got a nice, big room with two windows facing canal Grande. Well, if you want more info on the hotel you can check out my trip report. I have posted the report (with lots of pictures) on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 12:49 PM
ira

Hi doodle,

As an alternate, you might wish to consider canal front rooms at the Hotel Marconi or the Rialto Hotel. Both are right at the Rialto bridge, where there is a vaporetto stop.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your suggestions! I spent all weekend surfing the web and emailing inquiries to hotels. Believe it or not, Locana Orseolo is available, so I have just confirmed with them, for three nights! Best of all, it is the most reasonably priced!!!! I can't wait.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:55 AM

You will love your stay at Locanda Orseolo. I've stayed there and highly recommend it, so this post is really meant as a "double check".

Your view will not be of the Grand Canal - rather a smaller canal, but there is a gondola park at the end of the canal, so there will be lots of gondola traffic in the afternoons and evenings. In the mornings you will see delivery boats. And, if you are arriving by water taxi they have a water taxi door, but if you are arriving by vaporetto from the train station or car/bus lot make certain that you have their written directions in hand as it can be very tricky to find. This quiet seclusion though, so close to Piazza San Marco, is part of their charm.

Please give us a trip report when you return.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM

If you want a view of the Grand Canal, you might want to check out the Hotel Metropole. The front rooms of the hotel have a spectacular view and you'll be about a 5 to 7 minute walk to the Piazza San Marco. The rooms are very nicely decorated with antiques.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:35 PM
DrG

The American Hotel is not too far from the San Marco. It is on a canal and the view is lovely. It is first class hotel, close to the Guggenheim Museum.