Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice, Florence and Amalfi Coast - 9 days????

Jul 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm thinking of traveling to Italy in early September for about 9 days. Is it feasible to visit Venice, Florence and the Amalfi coast in this time? How many days in each city would you recommend? I'm in my mid 20's and am interested in sightseeing but also relaxing in each city.

What's the best method of transportation to get from Venice to Florence to Amalfi? Does anyone have any recommendations on a specific town on the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Positano, Capri?)

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Not really. It's POSSIBLE, but you will be stretched pretty thin and certainly won't do much relaxing if you want to see anything in the places you go. Venice and Amalfi Coast are pretty far apart. With only 9 days I would only do Venice/Florence or Florence/Amalfi. Or you can do some more research and find something closer to these places to see. Is there a reason you don't want to see Rome? It's much closer to Amalfi.
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM

The only way I would try to combine those 3 is if you do indeed have 9 nites to sleep in Italy and can fly into Venice and home from Naples--or vice versa. Otherwise, too much time lost in travel logistics. That is all doable depending on where you are departing. There is a good flight from Naples via Madrid on Iberia to consider. Ten days would be better.
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM

There would be no relaxing - since it takes the best part of a day to transfer from one city to another. You would end up with 1.5 to 2 days in each - hardly time to see even a few most important sights - never mind spend any time cafe sitting with a wine or campari and soda.
Jul 10th, 2011, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi N,

Your logistics will be much easier if you visit Venice, Cinque Terre and Florence.

Better yet, Fly into Venice - 4 nights, Train to Florence - 4 nights. Fly out of FLR or Pisa PSA.

Jul 10th, 2011, 06:17 AM

I like ira's idea. You can do 4 nights in Venice, 2-3 nights in Florence, and 2-3 nights in CT before a flight out of Pisa or Genova.
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:55 AM

hi, 9 days are perfect to visit Venice first , then Florence and then Amalfi Coast....but you have to take Eurostar train..the last railway station to get Amalfi is Salerno....Don't miss the best of romantic trip in Italy!!!!
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
JBX

Ignore above poster ...... "9 days are perfect to visit Venice--Florence--Amalfi Coast ... "

Nope, I don't think so. Totally overlooks travel time to get from one destination to the next. Unless, of course, you have magic powers to transport yourself ... (Scotty refuses to beam me anywhere !!).

Should you wish to include a 3rd destination besides Venice & Florence, then as other posters have suggested, the Cinque Terre makes more sense than Amalfi Coast. Wherever you select, you need to do so rapido as September is still part of high season.