Why vacation in Europe? - from an American point of view

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though we've done a fair amount of travel throughout the US, there are many places in the States we (me and wife) have not seen. But at this point in our lives, we prefer Europe for vacation. Many friends, aquaintances, co-workers and frineds seem to have a hard time understanding this ... "Didn't you go to Europe last year???"
Here are some reasons that come to mind

- I am a European history buff.
- I like old buildings, old cultures, and old stuff in general.
- It doesn't have to be any more expensive than a stateside vacation.
- We've been to enough beachy resorts - too similar.
- I like the challenge of getting around in a foreign land, even when confronted with a language that I can't understand.
- The food and wine always tastes better.
- I enjoy being able to de-bunk some of the stereotypes - French are arrogant, rude, and frivolous; Poles are unintelligent; British have bad teeth and a superiority complex; Germans are humorless, beer-drinking megalomaniacs; Italians are loud, uncouth gangsters, etc. In this day and age, some people still believe this stuff, but I've found a vast majority of the people in every European country I've visited to be friendly and genuinely nice - they're just people.

I'm curious, why do others prefer Europe?
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM

michelangelo's works was the draw for me when first planning to go to Europe.
I also like old ruins.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
yk

History, history, history (Well, I like US history too, but you can't get much European history here)

Cheese

When I travel alone in Europe, it's actually quite a zen experience to be surrounded by a language I don't understand. For once, I feel my brain is actually turned "off" (you know how your ear is always eavesdropping other's conversation...). I enjoy watching people talking and not understanding what they're saying - I actually look at their facial expression and their gestures, trying to imagine what they're talking about

Experience a different culture
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Beer, history, beer, architecture, beer, scenery, beer, cultures, beer, food, wine, and beer.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Those who have to ask will never understand anyway.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Phillyboy,

My husband and I are on the same boat as you, since we travel to Europe at least once per year, if not twice (when we manage our budgets properly throughout the rest of the year).

Reasons:
The architecture.
The food and wine (you are absolutely right, somehow it tastes better in Europe!!!)
The multiple layers of history everywhere you look.
The learning experience --as you say, people are people and it's interesting to get to know them in their own turf, and to observe (and learn from) their customs and ideosyncracies.

...and did I mention the shopping? (although my husband would beg to differ on that one point)
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Doh! I forgot museums, and beer.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM

History, architecture, art. And cobbled streets.

I don't know people's ages on here, but I can't help but wonder if there's a generational factor here. I'm 60, went to school when there was heavy emphasis on "Western Civ" (right through college). It was drilled into us year after year.
Probably as a result, much of my favorite books have been European and Roman historical novels.

Will today's (U.S.)younger generation be as smitten with European and Roman history as we are? Will European travel be as high on their agenda? I wonder.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM

Gaaa. Much = many
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM

History and culture would be the main reason for me. We have history in the US, but it doesn't go back all that far.

I enjoy visiting places in the US too, but it often requires long hours of driving, which I hate. I prefer traveling around Europe b/c it's easy to use public transport. I like all the trains, trams and funiculars. It's hard to travel throughout the US without having to drive a car.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Bob hit it on the head---you can't understand
if you have not been there.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Probably at least some of these people don't really realize that Europe is a big, diverse place, (and I assume at least) that you aren't really visiting the exact same places each year. I also find that a lot of people perceive European travel as unbelievably expensive (i.e. once in a lifetime unless you're a jetsetter).
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Persimon: You may have hit the proverbial nail on the head. Most people are astonished to learn what I spend on a trip to Europe. They usually assumed at least twice as much. I hadn't thought about it, but a many probably just never consider it, assuming they can't afford it.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I too am a repeat traveler to Europe. To be honest, I now feel I have seen enough ruins, churches, and museums although I usually do visit some new ones at some point in a trip. I WISH I could find the European ambience without the expense and torture of a transatlantic flight. But I have not found it yet in the U.S. I love the outdoor cafes, the unique shops and restaurants (instead of the malls the are so much the same whether in New York or L.A.!) I love the moderately priced local foods and wines. I can pay maybe twice or three times as much at a French resturant in the States and be very disappointed. I love wandering thru the little towns and villages and all the lovely window boxes. I love the vibrant cities full of sidewalk cafes and fountains. A few times in a metro area in the U.S. there has been a bit of a European flavor, but not really the whole delightful experience. I love the train travel or the canals of Venice and Amsterdam; the delight of walking into a cathedral and hearing the organ or finding a muscial quartet of street performers. As to the younger generation - I went with both my girls on high school trips and beleive me, they are no scholars or fans of history but they also fell in love with the overall atmosphere of Italy, France, Spain, Amsterdam, etc. But I do agree with bobthenavigator "those who have to ask will never understand". Let them stay home! It seems it is getting more crowded all the time!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; I agree with Bobthenavigator; But everyone should try a European vacation at least once for the experience. For me, my sister went to Amsterdam to work for a year in 1989. I had not been on a plane for 25 years. She forced me/us to visit her. September, visiting our granddaughter in Germany, will be our thirtieth trip to Europe. Only second trip to Germany. Two trips in the planning for next year. Scandinavian Tour and Croatia. Dick P.S. We did have the 'flavor' of Europe, having been to Quebec City 13 or 14 times.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM

We used to go to Europe at least once a year, sometimes two.

Then we moved to London and travel to the continent 24 times in the last 3 years! That is how much we love history, architecture, small villages, and cobbled street (although you have to be careful with a certain footwear!). And food!

Now, as we are moving back to the US, I cannot help but wonder where would be going for our next trip. There is so much more to see!

I agree with the previous poster regarding "the looks" we get when we mention Europe as out trip destination. Not again?! Have you seen it all? NO!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Don't know if others have encountered this, but when asked about why I travel to Europe, I often get the feeling that those doing the asking quite frankly are a little timid about foreign travel. Especially when they realize I'm an independent traveler.

I really think some folks are, shall we say, less adventurous. Foreign language, foreign food, foreign customs. Too foreign! It seems to be more than they can handle. Traveling in the US within the Holiday Inn-McDonald's comfort zone is more appealing perhaps. Maybe it's a personality thing.

I think the diversity issue persommondeb mentioned is also a factor. When I told a friend that my husband and I were planning a fourth trip to Itly, she said, "Again? Haven't you seen it all?"
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Food's better
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I travel to Europe for the differences. Different cultures, different language, ambience.

I think people are a little timid. The first thing I usually get asked is about the language. The "oh my gosh, how did you get around if you don't know the language" question. And I do think many believe the cost is significantly higher than it actually is. I could easily spend more money in a week in Disney than I do in Europe. To each their own though.

Tracy
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM

The U.S. is a very homogenized place. It almost doesn't matter where you are anymore - NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta, DC - you see the same restaurant and retail chains. Everything looks the same because shopping areas are developed by a handful of developers. There are a few exceptions, but even "old" or "quaint" areas of many cities have the same chains you find in malls in Atlanta. Example is Charleston, SC. You have this gorgeous quaint town and the shopping area has a Victoria's Secret, Banana Republic, Starbucks, etc... with a few unique stores mixed in.

With Europe, the food, culture and language differs from country to country, but the countries are the same size or smaller than our states. So, it's like going from Georgia to Florida and having the culture and language completely change (okay, maybe it does, but it's a joke I can make b/c I live in Georgia).

Other reasons:
- Food is better and higher quality (less processed)
- Stamps in passports
- The adventure of bumbling through a country where you don't speak the language
- It's fun to try to figure out what road signs mean
- Food
- Food
- Food

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -