Search

Venice carnival

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice carnival

Hello

My husband and I will be in Venice on third of March. I wonder if we could see anything related to the carnival as ı see it ends on 28th of February
Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 03:45 AM

If you look at the official events list - http://www.carnevale.venezia.it/en/events-list/ - it is all over by February 28 being Martedì Grasso or Shrove Tuesday.

The only benefits you will have is that there will be less people around and you may be able to purchase Carnival related articles at a discount.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 04:42 AM

What I did not add is that certain cities continue the Carnival celebrations beyond February 28. For example, Milan's Carnival ends on March 4 this year.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Really ? I am glad to hear that. We have bought the tickets considering our short holiday between those days and I was so sorry for not being able to go on carnival days. Well less people is an advantage and we can try Milan instead. Thank you.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 12:46 PM

<i> For example, Milan's Carnival ends on March 4 this year. </i>

That's because Milan follows the Ambrosian rite instead of the Roman rite. Lent starts four days later in the Ambrosian rite, and the big day of carnival will be on Saturday the 4th. The other days will see no particular celebrations.

However, some towns in Italy do have carnival celebrations on weekends during Lent.

The Milan carnival is nowhere near as visible as the Venice carnival. If you don't plan carefully, you could miss it altogether, whereas Venice is filled up and running over with its carnival. The big event of the Milan carnival is the parade of floats. In Venice, people in costume are all over the city.