Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Brunetti help please! Going this week!

Jun 5th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone PLEASE HELP with finding Brunetti's apartment/neighborhood and the police station? I made the mistake of buying the Kindle version of Brunetti's Venice, Walks with.... And the maps do not zoom in and most are not well focused. I am finding it very difficult to follow the walks without the maps.

The one I really care about is Walk 3, finding "his" neighborhood, and of course the neighborhood of the (former) police station, Walk 9. Third I guess would be Palazzo Falier...

I've bought a regular map, but even with that in hand it's still hard to figure out where in heck these things are supposed to be, especially when she makes it quite clear that you cannot see the apartment from the street!

I'm a big fan, have been reading since about the 4th book came out, and will be sad not to have found these -- only have one full and two half days in Venice, any tips or help would be appreciated.

Oh, and I DID try google and google maps and they say the street noted by the book doesn't exist -- calle traghetto della Madonnetta..... sigh...

ANY help greatly appreciated. (and if it's just because I'm stupid please try to be kind about rubbing my nose in it... )

Thanks,

Jun 5th, 2017, 05:31 AM

The police station (Questura) is located where it really is-- on Rio San Lorenzo.

I don't think we know on which street he lives exactly. From descriptions, it is one of the streets to the west of the Rialto market between Ruga vecchia S. Giovanni and Fondamenta del Vin.
Jun 5th, 2017, 05:32 AM

Just realized my aged map of Venice has the Questura where I mentioned, but perhaps it is no longer there. The building was certainly still an official city building when I was there in March.
Jun 5th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Calle Traghetto Madonetta is between the Grand Canal and Chiesa San Polo/Campo San Polo. This would be south of Fondamenta del Vin and San Silvestro Vaparetto Stop.

The best map of Venice, in my opinion, is Streetwise Venice sold at Barnes/Noble.

Thin
Jun 5th, 2017, 06:58 AM

I think the questura is still on Rio San Lorenzo. It has a fairly unassuming entrance.
Jun 5th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Oh thanks so much!! I read an interview with DL, in which she says it has moved and is now in Piazella Roma but the old building is still there. She kept talking about all the times that she has been in "his" apartment and seen "that view" -- very frustrating...

Thanks for the map tip!

Jun 5th, 2017, 12:20 PM

I know Chiesa San Lorenzo.

In between San Lorenzo and Chiesa San Giorgio dei Greco is a C.d. Madonna. It is adjacent to Calle Mazruzzi.

This is near Hotel Bisanzio.

Thin
Jun 5th, 2017, 01:08 PM

27, if possible please write a trip report, even if it's short. I am on book #19 of the Brunetti series, and I'm reading it as much for the descriptions of Venice (and those scrumptious meals) as for the storyline. I would love to read your descriptions. I was in Venice last September for the 2nd time. I'm not sure if there is a return trip in my future, but then again I never thought I'd see it twice in the first place so who knows.

I absolutely love your determination to see Brunetti's Venice.