Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Differences between San Polo and Canneragio in Venice

Nov 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children ages 7 and 11 traveling to Venice for a week as part of a three week trip to Italy. We would like to rent an apartment. I have read hear that it does not matter where you stay, you won't be to far. I have also read that San Marco might be to busy for us.

I am looking at these two apartments, VRBO 94635, in Campiello Rosetta Cannaregio,N. 5513,Venice and HOMELIDAYS.com - offer ref n 89669 Calle dei Boteri n1540B in San Polo.

Since both areas are great. Would you be so kind as to tell me what are the differences between the two. I hope this will help me make up my mind.

PS. To complicate matters more there are two apartments in Castello, Holiday-rentals.com properties 65098 and 67973 in Campo Ruga and Calle Vechia. I think they might be to far.

Please help!!!
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM

We very much enjoyed our one-week stay here - a duplex, 2 br, penthouse apt with terrace (breakfast brought there), a very quiet calle and convenient (between Rialto and P San Marco) - €550/week...

www.locandadelleacque.it
Nov 29th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Looking at a map, the 89669 Calle dei Boteri address looks close to the open air market, which may be a plus.
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your help!
Nov 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
ira

Hi M,

Venice is not so large that you can't walk from anywhere to anywhere.

I suggest that you take the nicer apartment, irrespective of location.

Nov 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Correction:

The address in San Polo is Campiello of Sansoni. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks
Nov 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM

For any location use the Google Map function, give the street address (including the number), the city and the country. That way you can judge by yourself the location of the apartment.
Nov 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM

First of all, you might want to read this thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34791672 where we've had a Venice neighbourhood discussion recently, and once again, I'm pleading against the San Marco bashing that seems to run rampant on this forum - also S. Marco has its quiet, hidden places, and also in Cannaregio you can go through a hell of tourist crowds, it all depends on the PRECISE location.
Of the rentals you've selected, it's true that those two in Castello are way too distant from everything (though in very pretty and likeable areas, especially the one on Campo Ruga).
Campiello dei Sansoni is in the immediate surroundings of the Rialto markets, the largest and best markets of Venice, another area I like very much, though the precise lanes around Campiello dei Sansoni are pretty narrow, which always means, in Venice, that apartments are pretty dark all day round, often making it necessary to switch on the electrical light even at noon. The vicinity of the markets, though, is certainly great, especially if you're renting an apartment and will want to cook some meals - these markets are gorgeous, in fact one of the main reasons for my Venice passion, and the earlier you come, the better the choice. The area is very busy and hard-working before noon, when the markets are open, but dies out even earlier than the rest of Venice - evenings begin soon here. And that apartment, quite frankly, looks terrible re: furniture, I wouldn't want to stay there, but that's of course up to you.
Campiello Crosetta (not Rosetta) is in another exceptionally lovely area, exactly on the border between the rather modern (for Venice!, of course, meaning that we're talking about 18th-19th century now), hard-working district towards Fondamenta Nove, and a particularly nice & unspoiled historic (i.e. gothic-renaissance) area between S. Maria dei Miracoli and S. Marina. As for the markets (the Rialto always being the best decision for food shopping), they're of course not as near as to the Sansoni apartment, but fairly reachable: find your way to SS. Apostoli (you'll go wrong at your first few attempts), turn right on Strada Nova, and take the S. Sofia traghetto to the fish market - as soon as you'll know the way, it will take you ten minutes at the most.
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so, so much for taking the time to help me out.

I also think that the apartment in Sansoni is not atractive and that is why I have not made a reservation there. The apartment in Canneragio does sounds better.

mayilove