Venice Arrival and Departure

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Arrival and Departure

Arriving Sunday afternoon. I was planning to take the ACTV bus to Piazzale Roma and then from there, get a vaporetto pass and take the number 1 or 82 to Rialto.

I'm staying at an apartment near San Bartolomeo.

However, my Michelin guide is saying the vaporetti are crowded and there's a surcharge for luggage?

Is taking a 25-inch roller feasible on a vaporetto? For that matter, does the ACTV have room for it or is the ATVO coach better in that regard?

My return trip is early the following Saturday morning. I believe there's night service with the vaporetto (will be trying to leave at 5 AM or even earlier) but what about the ACTV or ATVO at that time of the morning?

Or for that matter the Alilaguna? One thing I notice about the Alilaguna is that it take like 90 minutes from the San Marco stop to Marco Polo?

Old May 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Have no fear- I take my 28 inch suitcase on the vaporetto all the time, and not only that, men who are taking carts and cartons and what not get on the vaporetto all day long, along with all the suitcases.

There is no surcharge for luggage, I've never been charged or asked (even though there is a surcharge for two pieces), or supposed to be; I've gotten on vaporettos at times with two pieces, and have never been charged.

As for timetables, you need to check the times-the schedules are here:

vaporettos:

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazio...oc/cerca_linea

land buses from Piazzale Roma:

www.atvo.it/eng/orari_en.php
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for settling that. Nice to get info. about actual practice than whatever the official rule might be.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM
ira

Hi sc,

You are supposed to pay for a large suitcases on a vaporetto, but it is too much trouble to enforce the rule.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'll just board and see what they say. I'm probably going to get the 72-hour pass for 25 euros. They also sell a block of 10 but I forget what the price is. Maybe that would be better.

Do you just show the pass?

Also, is there some boarding ramp or is it steps? Will it be a problem trying to wheel a good sized case on and off the vaporetto?
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM

There are ramps on all the stops I've been on, and not a problem, though sometimes crowded with luggage. The steps are a bigger problem when walking along enroute from place to place, because few of the little bridges across minor canals have ramps. I took the Alilaguna to the airport and it worked just fine (though it is a bit of a walk to the terminal). Be careful if you're sitting outside in the back. As we came up to the airport, a speed boat came by and everyone sitting outside in the back got drenched!
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM

You show the pass if someone asks to see it. Be sure to validate it with the date and time just before your first ride.
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM

tt
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM

bookmarking
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Wait a minute scrb-you can't buy a block of 10 tickets UNLESS you are a holder of the Carta Venezia-and you have to have a pass with a picture ID and then, because you are not a resident of the Veneto, you must pay 40 Euro, THEN you buy the carnet of 10 tickets at reduced prices.

I am telling you, if you are staying a week, you NEED the blue Venice Card, it is ideal, and I have a post here somewhere about that shows you how much money you save with the 7 day pass-it's a LOT!