Reload this Page >

Bad Tolz or Tegernsee for 2 night in November

Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha,
I would like to stay for a night or two and not sure on were to stay, any hotel recommendations would be great. I know Bad Tolz will offer more Spa choices but I see that Tegernsee is on the lake (nicer views). A hotel with both nice views and a nice Spa would be great!! There is an event on November 6th in Bad Tolz that I want to attend and need to know if Tegernsee is close enough if I decide to book my hotel there to just drive to Bad Tolz for the day. Since I have not been to either I really would appreciate any input from people in the area or who have stayed in the area.
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM

The Tegernsee is very close to Bad Tolz.
You can drive from one to the other easily. The lake road that goes around the lake is rather crowded, but from the north end of the lake you have great views.

If you want to stay where you have a lake view and a mountain view, the hotel at the Margarethenhof Golf Club is at least a 4-star establishment.

The hotel is open late in the fall, but I don't know the golf course schedule.

http://www.margarethenhof.com/

The site is in German. If you don't read German, post again and I will try to help. There are others here who read German better than I who might also be willing to help.

Having been there twice as guest, I am looking forward to my return in mid August. Hotel rates in the late fall are €110 for a deluxe room including breakfast and use of the health club facilities, which are very good. The massage table was a real treat for me because I had never seen one before.

The restaurant is also top notch.

Don't worry about the language. Quite a few people there speak English well enough to get the job done. Martina Schmidt the hotel manager is fluent in English.

Stephen Klein the head chef is a great man with food. I have not spoken with him, but I have eaten his food enough to know that I like what his staff prepares!

Frankly, I cannot think of a better place to go. For me it is treat.

The hotel, bear Waakirchen, is less than 10 miles from Bad Tolz. Michelin makes a map of Bavaria which would be useful for driving in that area: Map 546.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM

Make that NEAR Waakirchen.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Aloha Brookwood,
I looked at their site, I dont read German that well but enough to get the idea. Great prices, and they have lake views!! I see they have a spa and I always assume they offer full service (massage and scrubs, facials and the like) but have found that it's not the same as in Hawaii. If the Hotel says SPA it means they offer full services for both men and women (in Hawaii) but in Germany I see often times it only means they have spa facilities but offer no services such as massage or facial. Do you know if this is the case with this hotel? It looks great and would love to book in advance but really want a place were I can get pampered a bit!!
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Yes, Der Margarethenhof offers quite a range of massage services. The wellness center has a sauna as well as other features. The place is beyond my normal price range, but I have enjoyed my two visits there. My friends who live in Munich had their wedding celebration there and I kid you not, it was a first class experience. I think I found out how the "other half" lives.

If the massages are as nice as the rooms, you will be up to your ears in luxury.

Read down the list and find the one where you get doused with chocolate butter. It sounds like the one to get!!

First, about massage services here is a key statement:

Wir bitten Sie, gleichzeitig mit Ihrer Zimmerbuchung auch die Beauty-Programme zu reservieren, damit wir Ihren Wunschtermin garantieren können.

We ask that you make your beauty programme reservations at the same time you make your room reservations. That way we can provide the services you wish. (The German garantieren is a near cognate, but it means assure more than it does something for which you can expect financial compensation if the terms are not met.)

The idea being that the two massage therapists book in advance. If you want something, you need to make your desires known so you can get on their books. They serve the hotels in the area, not just Der Margarethenhof.

I took the liberty of clipping out the list of massage treatments. It is quite lengthy, and I stuck a few English words in there. Mind you, I am not a beneficiary of those kinds of services, so I may not know what they entail, period.

AYUR VEDA MASSAGE

Das warme Öl regt die Hormonproduktion der Haut an und unterstützt den Stressabbau. Über Chakren und Marma-Punkte regeneriert der Körper und wird von Blockaden befreit.
Preis: € 90,

I think Ayur Veda massage is well known in the USA. The idea is the same, stimulate the hormones in the skin, support relief from stress, regenerate the body, etc. You can see the price.

CHI YANG
Energie spenden, umwandeln und harmonisieren. Unterstützt wird die Massage durch CHI YANG GOLDEN BODY OIL mit 22 karätigen Goldpartikeln
Preis: € 90,

In this one you get altered energy and harmony with golden body oil that has gold particles in it. I have no idea what this entails, even at home.

HOT STONE
Teilmassage mit heißen Steinen und verschiedenen Ölen
Preis: € 45,

Here you get the hot stone treatment with various massage oils on part of you. Teil means part or fraction; massage is obvious.

HOT CHOCOLATE
Das Beste aus wertvollen Kakaobohnen verstärkt mit exklusiver Shea-Butter zaubert ein streichelzartes Gefühl.
Preis: Ganzkörper: € 65,- Teilmassage: € 45,-

Here you get the coco bean and butter oil treatment. Wholebody and part.
They use some kind of coco butter that magically produces a feeling of being pampered. The word streichelzart is tough to translate. It is made up of two parts: stroking or petting and tender and mellow. Sounds erotic.

I think I would get this one just to find out what the heck it is like.
I kid you not, the Germans have the spa bit refined to a fine art.

KÖRPERBEHANDLUNG
Zum Entgiften und Straffen mit Algen
Preis: € 65,-

Körper means body; Behandlung means condition or treatment or therapy.
Entgiften means get the poison out -
detox.

Staffen means tighten, and here they use algae. I have no idea what this is all about. Tighten the skin with algae?

FUSSREFLEXZONENMASSAGE
Hilft das energetische System zu harmonisieren und Selbstheilungskräfte zu aktivieren
Preis: € 30,-

This is a foot massage. Activates the self healing strength and promotes harmony.

KLASSISCHE MASSAGE
Wohlgefühl für den ganzen Körper
Preis: € 50,-

Standard classic massage. No coco butter or gold oil. No petting. Just rubbing.

KOSMETISCHE RÜCKENMASSAGE
Preis: € 20,-

This is a back massage.
KÖRPERPEELING
Preis: € 25,-

this one means they peel off your skin.
I guess exfoliation is the translation. It is beyond my knowledge.
WARME ÖLUNG = warm oil
Preis: € 25,-

Weiter Wellnessanwendungen stehen Ihnen hier als Download zur Verfügung.

Further wellness techniques can be downloaded.
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM

PS I was more interested in the eating. Try a Stammer Max.
It is quite good. I forget what all it had, but eggs were included. Unlike anything I had in south Alabama.

The food is different from what I usually get in the usa. I wish I could stay there for a week!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hi - I don't know about hotels, but I go to this region fairly frequently to stay with friends. I guess it depends on what you want to do with your time out of the conference. Bad Tolz is a charming little town with beautiful views, nice cafe's, little shops, etc. November could be pretty cold to be wandering around, especially on the lake, although if you are "spa-ing" you won't be doing that much wandering. I really like the Tegernsee in the summer, but would prefer Bad Tolz in early winter as if the weather is miserable, you have a few more options of things to do...
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Bad Tolz is a nice place to shop in unusual stores.

I think if you stayed at the Margarethenhof you could enjoy both the hotel and Bad tolz because Bad Tolz is only a short drive away.

I would enjoy both if possible.

We went there last summer while staying at Der Margarethenhof. Quite interesting and fun to visit.\

Have a good trip. If you are there on a weekend, and you see a cute blond boy about 3 and his mother has black hair, ask if his name is Alexander von der Brueggen. If so, his mother is a former Fulbright scholar to the Grady School of Journalism at the University of Georgia.

And, yes, she is quite fluent in English, and Italian, and German, and ...

Old May 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM

In addition to Bad Tolz, there are several other interesting towns in the Tegernsee area. Weekend traffic in the summer can be heavy; I have no basis for predicting what you will find in November.

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Aloha All,
Brookwood, tahnk you so much for the SPA info as this will be a big part of my stay. As for the day in Bad Tolz it will be on the 6th of November witch is a Tuesday, so I dont think it will be to busy. The Spa and hotel sound wonderful. I will spend the nights on the lake and the day in Bad Tolz.
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Me again, has anyone stayed at the hotel Bayern. web site is www.hotel-bayern.de? It looks like a nice place too. Could use a word from anyone who has stayed there.
Mahalo,
Jeanne