Anyone been to a Paris Hammam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was specifically wondering if the one at the Paris Mosque is worth experiencing. Anyone been? I really enjoyed the art nouveau baths in Budapest. Do many tourists go to the Paris Hammams? Will I feel comfortable? Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i've not been but the one in the Marais is very popular.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.lesbainsdumarais.com./bdm_site.html
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Bonsoir!
Know before you go http://tinyurl.com/2ygu2t
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I have and I loved this place! I went two times on my trip and wish I was there now. I do not recommend going on Saturdays as it gets very, very crowded. If you do go then, go early, at 10 am when they first open.

The Hammam entrance is through the lovely courtyard and behind the bakery counter to the left.

When I did get there and it certainly did take some figuring out since I speak hardly any French and no Arabic at all. I looked at the wide menu of treatments a bit confused. To make things easier, they do have set plan prices; 58 euro for Entrance, Grommage (a Body scrub), with a 30 min Massage, soft soap and a mint tea. Or choose the Massage of only 10 min, for 38.00 €.

Day 1 a bit confused on how things work, I opted for the set menu of 58 euro w/30 min massage. You can bring your own towel or use one of theirs for 4 euro - was worth it to me.

When you pay, they hand you three tickets; 1 for grommage, 1 for massage and one for mint tea however it was hard to figure out what do with these tickets and in what order!

Tip: When you pay at the counter there is a basket of flip flop thong shoes there, do pick up a pair to walk around the wet areas with.

At the counter they will give you a packet of soap for your "pre" grommage; you can opt to buy a two euro cup of the soap and save the packet for a souvenir-I recommend this. The packet of soap I found difficult to open and felt a like a monkey in the zoo, sitting in my bikini bottoms, wet and trying to rip this soap package open with my teeth must have looked pretty funny.

I saw many women who brought things like facial masks and hair conditioners to do a real pamper treatment. I suggest that you bring a bottle of water because the steam room is very hot and re-fill at the faucets.

First thing is to walk though the room where there are 4 massage tables and make a right to the dressing room. There are lockers there for 1 euro which you drop in the locker slot and releases the locker key - the euro gets returned once you return the key so you can get things out of your locker too, just place the euro back in the slot to lock.

Most women wore bathing suit bottoms, only a very few were completely naked and this was fine too. Bring your flip flops, towel, soap and head back toward the massage room where you came in (but make a right through the painted door). You will then enter at the two grommage tables. The toilets are to the right behind them (these are squatting toilets) so make sure you have your flip flops on.

Continue on past the gromage tables, take a quick shower (push the handle) do not turn to activate the shower. Go through the rooms with marble slabs with faucets and buckets and continue to the steam room.

Steam for a bit, (there is a cool pool to help with the heat) take your soft gel like soap apply and let this sit for 5 min. Rinse and go get in line for your gromage!

The women will have you get on a table and she will use her strength and her mighty mitt to exfoliate you front and back. Most likely she will do this over your breasts too, she is not trying to feel you up - it's just part of the body and part of the gromage. Amazing amounts of dead skin came off, something like how a sunburn peels. This was not painful at all, but very invigorating!

Shower and go back to the massage room, throw your towel down on the mat and wait for your massage. While you wait, give your tea ticket to the counter and they will give you this lovely hot sweet mint tea.

I hope this helps and that you are able to take advantage of this wonderful experience!

Going back in May and may try another place just to compare.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks ecat but I think you mean gommage instead of gromage ;-)
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Well, ecat's description was so detailed no need to add anything except to say yes, I've done this twice and it's wonderful. Check the days and hours, though - last time I went there were specific days for women and for men (aas is the case in all the hammams I've been to). Do take water with you. And be sure to visit the lovely tea room afterward.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I have been to both the one at the mosque and the Bains du Marais. I actually enjoyed the one at the mosque more. The Bains du Marais are quite upscale in comparison and consequently a great deal more $$ by the time you factor in gommage and massage.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I will see if I can fit in a hammam with just two days!
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:18 AM

bkm
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 05:26 AM

The only thing no one mentioned is that there are certain days reserved for men or for women. I think Sunday and Tuesday are the days for men, the rest of the week for women.

And yes, it's incredibly relaxing.