Venice-apartment or B & B/Inn for September 2011

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have allotted 3 nights for Venice. Had pretty much decided to go with Locanda Orseolo-superior room with canal view for 270 euros per night. Alex has been very responsive to my e-mails answering my questions, etc. This place gets rave reviews and looks charming per pictures I've seen. The breakfast sounds amazing!! Then I came across Franco's thread about his favorite Venice accommodations where he talks about apts. as being his favorite. Could we get an apt. for only 3 nights at about 250 euros or less. Or maybe we could increase our stay in Venice if we can find something for even less. We definitely want a canal view, close to San Marco and sights as we are both senior citizens-a walk of 30 minutes to get from point A to B would be ok. Not too many stairs to climb-2nd or 3rd floor would be ok. Or maybe we should just book Locanda Orseolo-I did kind of fall in love with this property so an apt. would have to be charming like this place. Any help would be appreciated. And if Franco reads this-we are staying in apts. in Rome, Paris, and London.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention. We need a place with 2 beds-twins are fine. I sent an e-mail inquiry to Franco's favorite-La Rosa-in hopes it might work for us.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM

I've stayed in Orseolo twice and it is my favorite hotel anywhere so far. I've never stayed anywhere with better service in my life. If you stay at an apartment, you won't have the luxury of being a guest at Orseolo...the breakfast, the chats, the recommendations they provide, and the warm welcome they will give you every day guarantee you to have an unforgettable experience in Venice.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:06 PM

The rates of 160 Euros/night and the rave reviews for both of these apartments would be enough for me to think really hard about why NOT statying at an apartment: check http://www.vrbo.com/25432 and http://www.vrbo.com/182027
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I won't try to persuade you one way or another, but I can provide an apt. recommendation. Go to venicerentals.com and send them an email indicating your preferences for an apt. They'll email you back with photos, amenities and locations of apts. that fit your needs.

I've used them, and they are very reliable and helpful. I'd say you can get a pretty good place for less than 250 euros/nt.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi chris,

what sort of things do you like to do on holiday? do you like to shop for food, do a bit of cooking, go out for breakfast, rely on your own devices [and fodors of course] for restaurant recommendations/concert tickets/directions to..or do you like someone to fall back on if things go wrong, a bit of pampering, a hotel breakfast, someone to book your restaurant table...?

with only 3 nights, these are very real questions. with an apartment you could spend a significant amount of that time doing the things that are normally done for you in a hotel. OTOH, it could be significantly cheaper.

were you staying longer, I might vere towards the apartment. for 3 nights, I'm not sure that it's worth the savings, unless you REALLY like apartments.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

First-thanks to everyone with such great info!!! Now, I have even more to choose from-they all look so wonderful. If we go with an apt. less than 250 euro per night, we can add more nights on to our stay in Venice so that's a plus for choosing an apt. but the Locanda Orseolo seems to be so charming and a big part of that charm as aptly stated by beanweb24 comes from the staff which I wouldn't have with an apt. It's a very hard decision. I heard back from Robert of Franco's fav apt. La Rosa and that will work for us too.

Viajero2-those vrbo places look great. We're thinking of using that site for Paris. The one we really wanted for Rome from vrbo is booked into Nov. 2011-bummer!

k9korps-Thanks. I'll do some checking with venicerentals.com

annhig-most of our vacations have been in condo/apt. like accommodations. We like to have space. We don't really cook-just breakfast and having cold drinks, snacks on hand. We wouldn't be cooking dinners or lunch and will probably have breakfast out at least once. I would love to shop for fresh fruits, flowers. Having a washer is a plus in an apt. as this trip will last a month but we are going to try to pack everything in 1 medium size suitcase for each of us-2 total. Our last 3 vacations have not been in apt. like places and we were just fine so apt. or B & B will be ok. I'd like to have a place with charm and personality. It needs to be located near public transport (bus, metro/subway, vaporetto, etc.) or close to places we can walk to which is why I had been looking in the San Marco area. We like to organize our own days and manage quite well with a good guidebook and lots of research before hand.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM

We have spent some time staying here, and are back there on November 20th this year for eight weeks.

http://realvenicevacationflats.com/

It works well for us. Owner lives in San Francisco, has a most helpful guy on the ground in Venice to help out. The rates quoted on the web site may be a bit stale - I'm not sure.

About 20 minutes walk to San Marco, ditto to the Rialto, no steps or bridges between the apartment and the Ca Rezzonico vap. stop.

Click on my name and you'll find the trip report from last visit. It was fun.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi chris - i was obviously tying to teach my grandad/grandma to suck eggs. Sorry! somehow i had the impression that you were apartment virgins, which is clearly not the case. we are usually like you with our apartment use - on our last visit o Rome we didn't even eat breakfast in the apartment!

in Venice however, we did eat in more - restaurant food is that much more expensive than in Rome - and the rialto market is so enticing it's hard not to buy things. I love the fact that they ask you whether the potatoes you want are for boiling or roasting - when was the last time you were asked that? the butchers have sprigs of rosemary to give you to flavour your lamb, the cheesemonger [a great one in a little stall on your left as you walk from the rialto bridge to the market] asks when you want to eat your cheese, whether you want fresh or aged pecorino, etc.etc.

if you click on my screen name you can see my trip report too! [it's a bit shorter than Peter's but not as funny!]