Venice Apartment: San Girlolamo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed in this place or know of it?
http://www.vrbo.com/34914
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I have not stayed there, Patrick, but would love to! Looks great, different location, but a little too pricey for my solo self. I would go for it if I were you.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

This morning I received an email back from the owners of the above mentioned apartment. It seems it WAS too good to be true. They will not be renting it next summer, and it is fully booked this entire year, but they will be moving all those furnishings and paintings to their other rental apartment referred to in the same website as Nati's house -- OK, but not nearly so dramatic and nice looking.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:51 AM

I posted this link a while back. Have you looked at it?
http://www.jesolo-venice.com/venezia1.htm

The apartment looks a bit larger in the photos than it does in real life, but it's still pretty nice. The owners have a few more units on their main page. Take a look if you haven't already.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Patrick, What about the Palazzo Regina Vittoria that NYCFoodSnob's friend designed a Web site for (which, interestingly enough, does not come up on a Google search...)?

Here's another link for it:

http://www.holiday-rentals.com/index...perty/1670.cfm
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Patrick -
We used this agency (link below) and they were wonderful.
http://www.venice-rentals.com/

I liked having an agency to contact in case of problem (and to screen the properties) rather than relying on the owner, although the owner did greet us, show us the apartment, and point out some good restaurants nearby. We would use this agnecy again in a heartbeat. Very responsive, professional, and the apartment was great and quite reasonable. (Link for the apartment is below as well).
http://www.venice-entals.com/venice/v143.shtml
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Eloise, actually that apartment is still near the top of my list. I emailed the owner nearly a week ago inquiring about availability and if the website's prices would still be good for next summer (I'm looking for June of 2006 and considering how everything is fully booked for this summer, I'm glad I'm starting early). I've not received a response from Giovanni yet, however. By the way, here is the link to his own website:
http://www.permessovenezia.com/index.htm

Holly, I had missed your posting and just looked at that apartment. It does look nice and it is AIR-CONDITIONED! Big plus in June. What floor is it on? Lots of climbing? What's the bath like? Shower, or hand held in tub? Shower Curtain. These are major issues for us.

Meanwhile we could always return to the place we stayed last summer which was fine -- just nothing really special and it was very warm without air -- as it's just under the roof in a three story building.
Here's one link for it if anyone is interested:
http://www.world-world.com/site/user...&ad_id=516
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM

The Calle Nani apartment is either on the 1st flight up, or the 2nd. I thought it was the 1st, but now I think that's where the in-laws live who let me in. I think we went up another flight above that. Just can't remember (looked at it 3 years ago). Big wide (marble?) staircases, not like Lamberto's. And I can't remember whether the bathroom had a shower, but I'm thinking it was a hand-held sit down type. You'd need to check on that.

Here's another spot I've found on-line, but haven't seen (yet):
http://www.world-world.com/site/user...&ad_id=526
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, Holly. I have emailed on both those places. LOVE the stone stairway at Palazzo Querini. It does seem odd that both those apartments show total availability for all of THIS summer. Why wouldn't it be rented at all, or do they not update the "availability calendar"?

One thing that sort of bothers me about the Permesso property is the idea that it seems so "enclosed", not only no balcony, but apparently absolutely no view, and I can't even figure out what it might look out to if anything. Meanwhile I still haven't heard from Giovanni.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Not sure which one you're referring to by P. Querini. Giovanni's? His apartment is actually quite open, light and airy. There are 4 balconies (one off of each floor-to-ceiling window), but they're only big enough to stand on, and you're right - no views. They each look across the calle into the windows of those buildings. And the foot traffic outside the windows would be horrendous during waking hours and into the night. Although, with A/C, you'd be able to keep the windows closed. I wrote a more detailed review of this apt. on a thread in the SlowTrav Italy section, but it's not posted in the reviews section. Last post was sometime around this past January or thereabouts, I think.

After I posted last night, I noticed that the apt. near Campo Bandiera e Moro appears to have a tub with hand-held shower nozzle. It's possible that there's a way to hang the nozzle, and maybe there's a shower curtain, but if that's going to be a problem, you'd want to check on that.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

The Palazzo Querini one I mentioned is the one recommended by you in the above quoted post:

"Here's another spot I've found on-line, but haven't seen (yet):
http://www.world-world.com/site/user/adDetail.asp?
cat_id=41&sub_id=94&ad_id=526"

Is that the one you are referring to as the "one near Campo Bandiera e Moro"?
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Ah, and now another apartment I'm really interested in. I found this one via Slowtrav.
It seems to have it all, great location on a canal with a view, air conditioning, elevator, fine furnishings and decor, and a wall mounted shower with glass doors!! I little more than I was hoping to pay, but at 980 euro a week, it seems far better than many of the "dumps" I see for that much or more.

www.rosadivenezia.com
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Patrick, Try livingvenice.com; a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Dosodoro, not far from the Zatterre. Price is around 950 Euro per week, I believe. Good Luck.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM

The Palazzo Querini is the same one I referred to as the one near Campo Bandiera e Moro. Looks like you've found what you're looking for in the Rosa di Venezia apartment. Hope it's available for your dates!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Decisions, decisions. Now it seems I am torn between the Permesso apartment (Giovanni did respond and it is available -- total cost for a week including cleaning is 900 euro). And the Rosa de Venezia one is also available (total cost including cleaning is 1019 euro). So what to do?

Holly, I have been unable to find any reviews of Giovanni's apartment on SlowTrav. You seemed to indicate some drawback -- care to comment? I sincerely doubt that since it is airconditioned and since we will be there in June that we would have the windows open, so I assume the noise is not a problem. While I think his apartment seems much nicer than the Rosa di Venezia one, I can't help but love the idea of the balcony over the canal and the prettier views from the Rosa one. The kitchen (or lack of a real one in the Giovanni case) is not an issue, so long as we can put some cheese and juice in a refrigerator.

JerryS, I looked at the one you mentioned and had a hard time finding it on the map -- I like Dosodoro, but that apartment is way in the far reaches of it in an area I'm not very fond of. But it looks like a nice place for the money.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

OK, I just reviewed both apartments with Lee and his vote is for the Permesso one. As he says, are we really going to stand by the window and look at the canal that much? Giovanni's basically looks so much more spacious, luxurious, and comfortable overall.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Patrick, here's what I posted on a thread in the other forum (not in their reviews section):

"The downstairs bathroom is done entirely in black tile. Attractive to some, I suppose; frankly, I kept the door shut the entire time and used the upper bathroom, which is yellow tile.

The staircase leading up to the loft is worth noting. The steps are only half-steps, as in you step with your right foot, and there is no left half of the step, alternating all the way up, left right left. And they are so well polished that they are extremely slippery. Taking a header down those steps could cause some serious bodily damage. My first thought when I climbed those steps was - wow - they must not have PI lawsuits here!"

If these stairs don't sound like they'd be a problem to you, then I think you'll be delighted with Giovanni's apartment.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Patrick, friends of mine that have a darling house in the Dolomites have a stairway like Holly just described. The two bedrooms are upstairs. It is really scary, and I have no problem with stairs but I really do not feel comfortable with the stairs in my friends mountain home so you might take this into consideration.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM

I think that step issue might resolve the mystery of why the apartment in question seems so cheap, relatively speaking.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Frankly, I don't think the stairs have anything to do with the price. I think the apartment is competitively priced for an owner-direct rental. Take a look at some of the websites posted above in this thread - for the most part, they're all in the same ballpark. It's when you go through an agency that you start seeing the 1200-1500-2000 E. per week rates. The agencies mark them up - what? - 40% or more? Although Giovanni could probably get more for his rental, I think he's just being smart and keeping the price reasonable so that it'll be rented more. And he does (or did) have this unit listed with an agency, in the 1400 E. range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -