Venice accommodations help, please

Feb 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Venice accommodations help, please

Our cruise (Regent Seven Seas) disembarks in Venice and we're terrifically excited. FINALLY my husband and I get to see Venice together (we've been there separately-- but that was 5 decades ago)! I'm hoping that knowledgeable folks can recommend a wonderful hotel that'd be in the $300 per night range. Main thing for us is that the room be quiet. We'd love good space (especially in the bathroom) and of course would love a wonderful view-- but not at the cost of peace and quiet, which is our highest priority. We also need a king bed, and I know that they're more difficult to come by in Europe than in the States. Much obliged for you help! (Also: if someone can tell me how difficult it is to get from where cruise ships dock to the hotel areas, I'd be grateful.)
Feb 10th, 2007, 01:53 PM

What kind of "quiet" are you looking for? Traffic noise is not a problem in Venice, nor is the usual 5 am trash-truck wake-up we've found in other European cities.
Feb 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I suggest trying for one of the best rooms at the Hotel Ala. Great location, huge beds, nice linens, and they are very good with special requests. Athough the rooms are large, some bathrooms may be smaller, so ask for a big one.

Their are canal side rooms, on a small side canal, that are fairly quiet. Venice is pretty quiet, but there are sometimes noisy boats, deliveries, ambulance, trash, etc. We found the side canal rooms at the Ala to be pretty quiet. They also have small balconies: plenty big for standing, not big enough for sitting, but huge glass doors that pull back.

This should come within your budget, and be sure to ask for what you'd like. I think they are great at dealing with requests.
Feb 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
ira

Hi P,

Mind telling us when you will be going?

www.hotelmarconi.it and www.rialtohotel.com

are in your price range, but not for canal view, and are at the foot of the Rialto Bridge.

Also enter <Venice hotel> in the "search this forum" box for many more very nice hotels.

Your hotel will tell you how to get to the ship.

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for prompt replies-- plenty of help to start my search.
Our ship disembarks Sept 29, and we hope to spend probably 4 extra nights in Venice.
What "kind" of quiet? As much as we can find-- of every kind. E.g. boat traffic, other guest noise (how thick are the walls between rooms, etc)
Thanks!
Feb 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Two words....Locanda Orseola. We stayed there in 2006 and can not say enough about what a wonderful location it was or how incredilby warm and hospitable the hosts are. You can find them at www.locandaorseolo.com. They are right off of St Mark's Square and are rated #1 at Trip Advisor. You can also search them on this web site and will find a lot of good comments about them. Have a great trip!
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM
MaureenB

Our budget last May was about $200/night, so we stayed in the simple, one-star Hotel Riva, which was quite nice for us. It had twin beds pushed together (room 1), but probably wouldn't be as luxurious as you might want. Here are some more upscale hotels I noted while there:

The Hotel Colombina is a four-star hotel, located at Calle del Remedio, Castello 4416. It looked like a very classy and pleasant hotel, in true “Venetian” style of design. The front desk personnel were very helpful in setting us up on the wi-fi, even though they knew we were not patrons of the hotel itself.

Other appealing hotels we noticed (besides the Pension Calcina mentioned above) include:

Dona Palace Hotel, four-stars, San Marco 391. www.donapalace.it. It overlooks the Rio of Palazzo Ducale, the Bridge of Sighs canal.

Hotel American, three-stars, San Vio, 628 Accademia, www.hotelamerica.com. An “antique palace”, it also faces a nice little canal, the San Vio, in the Dorsuduro area, with a pleasant first floor terrace café.

Hotel Bruno, three-stars, Castello, Salizzada S. Lio 5726/A, www.hoteldabruno.com.

Good luck.
>-

Feb 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I'm trying to find where La Calcina was "mentioned above"? That is our favorite place; but before recommending it I had to ask poss what "quiet" means. I apologize if my question sounded abrupt.
La Calcina is in an ideal location, a 10-minute walk along Zattere from the cruise ship docking area. But I don't think it meets the other criteria. I don't know if they offer king-size beds, and the bathrooms are very small (our shower in particular would have been a tight squeeze for anyone who is not slender). The rooms are quiet in the sense that it is well-built, with no noise from adjacent rooms. But we could hear people talking in the hallways, and some people might consider the parquet floors noisy. The Giudecca Canal, which passes in front, carries a lot of large traffic--cruise ships and ferries to Lido. So all in all I don't think this particular hotel meets the OP's needs.
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Enzian: thanks much for clarification.
Others: Thanks also. I will check those recommendations out. Appreciate!
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Quiet hotel in Venice- Hotel Flora as all rooms are facing a lovely interior garden.
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM

My husband and I adored the Antiche Figure hotel right across the canal from the train station only a short walk over the bridge. Rooms delightful and quiet with lovely elevator, exquisite bathrooms, very nice breakfasts and very accomodating staff.
The prices are higher in summer but we got special rates and special deals in off seasons. See their website. This is a delighful clean and comfort hotel.
Over the bridge you can catch the Vaperetto anywhere. Best wishes, Brendastarr.
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM
MaureenB

Sorry-- my "mentioned above" reference to La Calcina should have been cut out. I cut and pasted a couple of paragraphs at the bottom of my report, but didn't edit very well.
>-

Feb 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM

My husband and I were on a cruise in Oct. and we stayed at Locanda Orseola. The owners were so hospitable. I can't say enough good things about them. In fact, we're returning to Venice in May and will stay there again.
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM

MaureenB---no worries: i just kept reading VenetianMan's post (which I see has been removed) over and over til I was dizzy, looking for La Calcina!

Everyone else----keep in mind that poss is not just looking for a nice hotel; they specified things like king-size bed, spacious bathroom, and very quiet and peaceful. The recommendatins are not helpful unless they address these specific things.

For poss---in most of Europe, the only way to get a king-size bed is to push two twins together. Indeed, where we have been in Switzerland, this is often what you get if you request a "double" rooms. Would this be acceptable? I think most Italian "couple-size" beds (letti matrimoniale) are very little larger than a double bed in American terms. But maybe there is another word for a larger bed.
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. And, yes, two twins pushed together is fine and dandy.