Venice 4th time - new activites?

Feb 27th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Venice 4th time - new activites?

We've been to Venice four times and love it. We are returning for our honeymoon in June. What has been your favorite unique thing to do in Venice? We've done all of the standards.

We are thinking of going to the Lido for the day as we have not done that.

Thanks
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Have you been to Torcello and had lunch
at the Locanda Cipriani on a terrace table overlooking the garden?
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:26 AM
ira

Hi moo,

Have you been to Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, which has two important works by Titian. And
the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, famous for a series of more than 50 paintings by Tintoretto?

It is to Venice what the Sistine Chapel is to Rome. (Open 9:00 - 5:00) 3054, San Polo

Feb 27th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Good morning, have to second the lunch at the Torcello Locanda Cipriani, in fact have a picture of the garden on my travel wall. The basilica its mosaics and etc. are worth the trip, naturally including lunch...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM

AND while you are on Torcello...make sure that you climb to the top of the bell tower for a most amazing view!!!

OR arrange a trip to San Francesco Del Deserto...
www.isola-sanfrancescodeldeserto.it
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:47 AM

The Ca Rezzonico, (museum of 18th century Venetian art; once occupied by Robert Browning), with two splendid Guardis and some fascinating frescoes by Giandomenico Tiepolo, son of the more famous Gianbattista (on the Grand Canal)

The jewel of a church that is Santa Maria dei Miracoli (near the Rialto).

The Querini-Stampalia Gallery with an amusing series of Venetian views by Bellotto, an early (and much less gifted) predecessor of Canaletto and a few charming genre paintings by Longhi. Also a garden created by the late 20th century architect Carlo Scarpa (in Castello).

The wonderful frescoes by Carpaccio in the Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni (in Castello).

Possibly the loveliest painting in Venice, in my view: the Sacra Conversazione by Giovanni Bellini on the second or third side altar on the left in the church of San Zaccaria (near San Marco).

If it's your honeymoon, you may well want to splurge on lunch in the garden of the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello. Personally, I found the food better (and considerably less expensive) at Da Romano on Burano.
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM

When you go to Lido, rent bikes. You can rent them near the vaporetto landing.

Have you been to San Pietro di Castello yet? It is very quiet and peaceful there, and the walk out there is lovely and colorful. On the way back, have a drink on Via Garibaldi and watch the passegiata.
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:52 AM

On the way back toward San Marco, in tiny Corte dei Risi o del Bovolo, San Marco 4299, between Campo Manin and Calle dei Fuseri, is the Scala Contarini del Bovolo, an outdoor Gothic spiral staircase 6 stories high. "Bovolo" means "snail." As my guidebook put it, this is what Venetian architects were accomplishing around the time America was being 'discovered'. It was built in 1499. To find this beautiful structure, follow the signs from Calle Della Vida. Open daily 10-6.
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I meant to say, 'on the way back to San Marco from Rialto'
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM

elaine, I have never even heard of this staircase! How interesting. One can climb to the top I assume? And imagine the view is fantastic?
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Get out on the water and take a day trip to Chioggia.
Feb 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM

The view isn't that great, because the little byway it's on is pretty hemmed in and in fact it's pretty easy to walk very nearby this and not even realize it's there.
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Isn't Venice great. We have been 4 times, the 4th was also our honeymoon.

We really thought the best experince was waterfront outdoor dinning at Cips place. Great food and AMAZING view back on to St Marc's. Go when they open and ask for a corner table at the front for the best view. Hotel Cipriani and Palazzo Vendramin. Best to make a reservation.

We also had a great tour with Michael at Venice Escapes. http://www.venicescapes.org. (The page seems to be down today.)

We also did a trip over to the Lido on our 4th visit and it was a good different part of Venice to see.

Ciao
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM

We were to Venice in May and the Scala Contarini del Bovolo was fenced off and looked to be under repair. You could take pictures of the staircase between the fence, but that was it.
dave
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM

We have just done our second go around with the Chorus Pass in Venice, and still haven't hit all the churches on the pass.

The amount of art and the number of churches in Venice is just so mind boggling. I don't think I could see it all in twenty trips.

We also spent a good amount of time in the campi watching families in the afternoon. We loved this. Piazza Santa Margherita was our favorite.

After 5 trips to Venice, I still have not been in the Museo Correr.

Do you have City Secrets for Florence, Venice and whatever else it contains? The Scalo di Bovolo is in there, as are a few other unique sites.

Nov 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM

I just loved hanging out on Via Garibaldi. We had an apartment tucked away at the end of that street and enjoyed meeting locals, watching the children play and walk their dogs. There is quite a bit of park/grass/trees in that area where it is nice to have a picnic.

Search this Thread