Day 1 Thursday May 2

St. Mark's Basilica
Torre Dell 'Orologio

Day 2 Friday May 3
Doge's Palace <--Booking Secret Itineraries Tour
Ca' d'oro

Day 3 Saturday May 4
Accademia
Gondola Ride (because I have to do it once in a lifetime right?)

Anything I'm missing? Thanks to all once again!

Vivi
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
vivi - you've gone the other way! you have a lot of scope here for seeing more things, but not cramming too much in.

I suggest moving St, Mark's to the same day as the Doge's Palace - you can book a slot for the basilica which fits in with your Secret Itineraries tour. altogether that will probably take half a day or so. in the afternoon you could cross over to Dorsoduro and go to the Accadamia and/or the Gugenheim, or do a tour of the Fenice opera house.

Day 1 - Get an early[ish] start at the Rialto market - make sure you get a look at the fish market, though it's all interesting - and then moving onto the Frari church [Titan, wonderful carved wooden choir and screen, and some rather weird funeral statuary] and the Scuola di San Rocco to see the fantastic work of Tintoretto. Even if you wouldn't know your Tintoretto from your elbow [which pretty much sums me up before I went to Venice] it's really worth seeing.

Then wander around San Polo and santa Croce areas - very lovely and interesting. in the early evening have a spritz and some cicchetti [tiny snacks like tapas].

Day 2 - San Marco as above.

Day 3 - the islands. I suggest getting the vaporetto out to Burano and Torcello [make sure that you walk round to the Gesuiti church first to see the wonderful marble curtains] . I'm not very found of Murano but you would probably have time for it too if you wanted.

you could do a gondola ride any evening - they last about an hour.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Day 1 a full day in Venice or a partial day?

I love Venice, and think you are leaving out a lot. I would highly suggest the following:

Church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (Frari) -- The chuch is rather unremarkable on the outside but has beautiful art on the inside (Titian, Bellini) and the tomb of Canova.

San Giorgio Maggiore -- This church is on its own island basically across from Piazza San Marco. It has a campanile accessible by elevator. I would recommend ascending it instead of the one at San Marco because the view is better and the line is much shorter.

St. Mark's -- Be sure to go to the museum at the top of the stairs once you enter. There you can see the original Quadriga (4 horses) and go out onto the balcony for a great view of Piazza San Marco

Orchestras at Piazza San Marco -- Go have drinks and/or dessert at one of the venerable caffes (Quadri, Florian or Lavena) on the piazza and listen to their orchestras; they only play at night.

Wander around -- Just walk around taking in the views, e.g. the tilting campanile of San Giorgio dei Greci, the Squero, Campo San Barnaba (famous for the movies Summertime and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade), the expansive Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo & the pasticceria/gelateria Rosa Salva...

Gondola Ride -- I take one every time I go to Venice, but my favorite time is at dusk. I had a dinner reservation at Ristorante da Raffaele and arranged a gondola ride about an hour earlier at the gondola stand by the restaurant and even took drinks with us (Venetian Spritz con Aperol, of course) on the ride down the back rios and Grand Canal. Also, if you save your gondola ride for dusk, you have more time to sightsee during times when places are open.

Vaporetto down Grand Canal -- You can take the vaporetto down the Grand Canal to see all of Venice from the water.

Favorite Restaurant -- If you want a really wonderful, romantic meal try Ristorante da Ivo. It is tiny and expensive but worth it.

I thought your Florence and Rome itineraries are looking great!
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM

TTT
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Annhig has a great itinerary. The center of Venice is pretty compact so you can do much of this without rushing. A great view of Venice can be had by taking the Vaporetto the length of the Grand Canal - try to get a seat up front. Not only do you have a good view of the amazing architechture but an idea of the commerce of Venice so much of which takes place on the Grand Canal.

And don't miss the Rialto Market. Make it your first visit of the day after breakfast. The fish market and the vegetables/fruit/flowers are amazing.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Great advice!
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not everybody's cup of tea, but we enjoyed the Peggy Guggenheim palazzo/museum. Guidebook descriptions weren't very inspiring, and it was our third trip to Venice before we made it there and then wondered why we'd waited so long.

OTOH, we didn't get much out of our visit to Ca' d'Oro other than, by chance, observing acqua alta which came in via the canal-side gate while we were upstairs.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM

You probably will not have time, but we found the tour of the Ghetto and old synagogues interesting. Also, enjoyed the vaporetto on the Grand Canal at night to see buildings all alight - beautiful.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Day 1 Thursday May 2
Accademia Tickets___
Ca' d'oro
Murano Glass Museum
Wander

Day 2 Friday May 3
St. Mark's Basilica & Torre Dell 'Orologio
Wander
Vaporetto at night grand canal

Day 3 Saturday May 4
Rialto Market
Frari Chruch
The islands: Burano and Torcello
San Giorgio Maggiore

I only want to see the Ca' d'oro because it looks gorgeous, is it worth my time? Does it look like I'll have enough time?
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 12:39 AM

> The islands: Burano and Torcello
> San Giorgio Maggiore

I would not fixe the dates for above. Would do them when the weather is best during your stay so decide a day or two before when the forecast is good. If rainny or even cloudy, better to stay in Venice and walk ( or do indoor activities ... museums ). Under the sun, these islands and views are really worth doing, especially colorfully painted houses of Burano. And the boat ride to Burano, I always sit on one of the outside seats in the rear, even in winter ( that I just did 1 week ago for the xxth time), under the sun and and protected from wind. Quite warm.

For St.Georgio, it's a quick boat ride ( No.2's 1st stop from San Zaccaria) so you can decide the same day. That's what I did last week. The lift opens at 09h00 and I got there at 09h15 and there was nobody but us for about 15 minutes ( nice surprise - low season helped), and we were able to move around freely as we pleased, to take whatever photos of whatever angles we liked, of all Venetian islands under blue sky, so clear that the chain of dolomite mountains were clearly visible. I hope the link works. I just have uploded the photo.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ps1d01fce3.jpg
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

@kappa1-You have an excellent point (especially with the picture!!) I will keep that in mind, so thank you! Love your picture too, beautiful and perfect, I cannot wait to go now.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 02:47 AM

Thank you for the kind words

I do think the houses ( plalazzi ) along the Grand Canal are not that well illuminated. Some are ( hotels and monuments such as Salute Church and Rialto Bridge - and train station area is better illuminated ) but many are not. I took a friend this time (his first time in Venice)and he said the same thing to me. Many great looking ones ( during the day ) are used as goverment offices and don't see much light there inside or outside. I don't mean those buildings are completly dark. You can do it but better not to expect too much of what you can see. I do enjoy riding vaporetto late at night (romantic factor is indeniable if you (can) sit at outside seats, in the semi-dark but for the view, better to do it during the day and of course during sunset hours, when the light from the setting sun is gorgeous.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 02:51 AM

> ... the houses ( plalazzi ) ... >> Palazzi

Considering your time is quite limited, you may not have time to do Grand Canal on vaporetto when it's still light. Then by all means, do the ride at night.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 03:05 AM

I'd recommend the Guggenheim, too, I though it was an interesting diversion. (Check to see which days it's open.)

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't think there's something special about a vaporetto ride. Yes, it goes down the Grand Canal. Yes, it's Venice. Still, a vaporetto is nothing more than a utilitarian form of travel, something like a public bus on water.

Maybe, just maybe, a vaporetto ride might be interesting late at night, if it's not crowded. I'm always amused by the suggestion "Try to get a seat at the front." Right. You and everyone else in Venice. "Try to hit the lottery" is good advice, too, for what it's worth.

As an alternative, and as a way of killing two birds with one stone, check with some of the local travel agencies or your hotel about getting on a gondola your, in which several gondolas -- with singing gondoliers -- head down the Grand Canal at sunset and explore some of the back canals. The cost won't be much different than hiring a single gondola.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 03:28 AM

> Still, a vaporetto is nothing more than a utilitarian form of travel, something like a public bus on water.

Agreed, especailly when you ride on a crowded voporetto and/or sit in the inside. You see very little and it is just like a city bus ride with all other tourist/local passngers (that's why I suggested sit outside so you see more of scenery than other passengers. This is possible when it's not crowded. Low season and at night it's quite easy and possible. At night, most prefer sitting inside. Many night boats I took last week, there were nobody sitting outside. I dressed warm and don't mind cold so was often alone (with my friend) sitting outside, in the back ( where it's less cold).
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only parts of Ca' d'Oro I would consider 'gorgeous' are the mosaic floor on the lowest level at the canal gate and the upper terrace with its views of the Grand Canal. The interior spaces are generic museum. Ca' d'Oro has a beautiful facade which you can view from the vaporetto or the opposite side of the GC. If you want to see beautiful palazzo interiors, go to Ca' Rezzonico.

If you hope to see any glass blowers working, you should head to Murano first thing in the morning.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM

The Torre dell'Orologio requires a reservation, since it is visited by a tour only and only 12 people are allowed on any tour. Tours run hourly but alternate among various languages, so you'll have only two English-language tours available on any one day. You can reserve online or reserve at the Museo Correr once in Venice. If you are traveling at a popular time, the tours may be full if you wait to reserve until arriving in Venice.

http://torreorologio.visitmuve.it/en...opening-times/
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM

If you are going to Murano, you should go on to Burano and Torcello on the same day, because they are near each other. Unless you are a huge glass fan, I would skip Murano. Personally, I didn't find it very attractive, and I only went on my third visit to Venice. I wouldn't have wanted to devote that amount of time on previous visits when there was still so much in Venice that I wanted to see.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry vivi - Day 1 is too empty and day 3 too full.

if you can i would move day 2 to day 1, and have a full day for the islands, thus:

Day 1 Thursday May 2
St. Mark's Basilica & Torre Dell 'Orologio [or san giorgio]
Accademia

Day 2 Friday May 3
Gesuiti church -on the way to the Fondamente nova to get the vaporetto to the islands:
Burano
Torcello
Murano Glass Museum [if time]

Day 3 Saturday May 4
Rialto Market
Frari Chruch
Scuola di san rocco
Ca' Rezzonico

you could do the gondola ride any evening. ditto wandering.
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I probably won't stary until Noon on day 1 based on tentative train schedules. Does this work better?? I am not interested in glass, but have read that you should see it??

Day 1: *NOON* Thursday, May 2
Accademia Tickets___
Ca' d'oro- See it from outside no tour (thank you Jean)
San Giorgio Maggiore
Wander

Day 2: Friday, May 3
Doge's Palace <--Booking Secret Itineraries Tour Tickets___
St. Mark's Basilica & Torre Dell 'Orologio<--book tour
Frari Chruch (wooden screen)

Day 3: Saturday, May 4
Rialto Market
Gesuiti
Burano and TorcelloGesuiti

Sunday, May 5

0739 Train to Florence (1hr 51min)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -