What to skip in Venice?

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to skip in Venice?

I've been looking through guidebooks and kind of made a list of all the sights that looked interesting in Venice, and I don't want to waste any of our time since we only have 2 full days there, and we'd like some time to just wander too. Is there anything on this list that you think is not worth it? Or anything incredible that I've missed?

-Piazza/Basilica Di San Marco
-Ponte Di Rialto
-Palazzo Ducale
-Islands (Burano,Murano,Torcello,Giudecca)
-San Francesco Della Vigna
-San Giorgio Maggiore
-Santa Maria Dei Miracoli

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Hi,
With only two days in Venice I would skip all the islands and rather wonder the wonderful back streets in Venice.

We're going back for our second trip this year and can't wait. LOVE VENICE!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM

If you have two full days, I would recommend starting out with the Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries tour and the rest of the Doge's Palace on your own first thing on your first morning. Then you can wander around the Piazza San Marco area. You could also do Santa Maria Della Salute and other churches that afternoon. Later that day, return to tour St. Mark's Basilica - or go to mass in the evening (I think it is daily at 5:45) and then look around afterward. From what I've heard and what we saw, later in the day was also a better time to climb the Campanile. The second day, you could do island tripping and then wander around the Rialto area.

We missed San Francesco Della Vigna, and I don't feel like we were slighted. We loved just walking and getting lost and exploring. Of course, you can't miss San Marco Square at night with the rivaling musicians.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM

In around ten trips to Venice, I have never made it to San Francesco della Vigna.

If you have it on your list because the façade is by Palladio, going to San Giorgio Maggiore and Il Redentore (on Giudecca) will give you a far better view of his work.

I don't know whether you can fit it in in two days, but I would go to Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (Titian and Giovanni Bellini), Scuola Grande di San Rocco (two floors of wall-to-wall paintings by Tintoretto; right next to Frari) and the Accademia, which is to Venetian painting what the Uffizi is to Florentine art.

And I'm delighted to see Santa Maria dei Miracoli on your list: it is a small gem that no one ought to miss but that far too many people do.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:32 AM
KT

Why S. Francesca della Vigna? There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not incredible. The Frari or S. Giovanni e Paolo are more sort of A-list attractions, and of the "lesser" churches, I might choose S. Stefano for its notable wooden ship's-keel roof or the Madonna dell'Orto (inconveniently located, though) for its Tintorettos.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only been to Venice twice, for 5 days each time. I'd skip all the islands. Honestly I've never done anything on your list (!) both trips we just wandered around, sometimes using a self-guided map/tour.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM

I'd definitely skip the islands for a 2 day visit to Venice. They are charmiing, but nothing comparable to Venice proper in my opinion at least!

I would NOT miss the Frari Church. I missed it my first visit to Venice, discovered it on my second, and now it is a staple of every visit! I also agree with the poster about wandering the backroads of Venice... it is magical. Be sure to look UP while you are there. The architecture on the tops of the palazzos and buildings is magnificent and the decorative windows and balconies are often beautiful as well.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:47 AM

I wouldn't neglect the islands as not only are these cat-infested places different from Venice proper but the boat ride itself is the attraction as you see Venice mesmerizingly rising from the lagoon - put yourself in medieval days when sailors would sail into the lagoon and catch their first glimpse of Venice from afar across the water - a whole different visage then when you're actually in Venice. Burano and quiet Torcello are the farthest away and thus get the grand perspective of seeing Venice from a distance.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM

I too would skip the islands on anything short of a three-day trip. The Frari is the one church outside the Piazza San Marco to see if you have time for no others. As regards the Accademia, which someone else mentioned, I would suggest doing it if you love art. If not, then spend more time outside. Still, the museum is not gigantic, and you can do a decent tour in less than an hour and a half.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:22 AM

I agree, skip the islands, be sure to take a Vaporetto ride from one end of the Grand Canal to the other, and definitely see I Frari. Other than that, visit the Scuola Grande di San Rocco instead of the Accademia, see St. Marks square and the basilica and be sure to leave plenty of time to just wander around Venice.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help - I will definitely drop San Francesco Della vigna. I would still like to do at least one of the islands - which one is best?
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM
ira

Hi abby,

Since you insist on an island: skip Murano unless you must see the glass museum.

(Although on one of our trips we saw a man walking his fish.)
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

BTW - i did say 2 full days, but you should probably know we will be there three nights, and we will have at least another half-day to explore.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM

My choice of an island would be Torcello: It has a very beautiful early 11th-century cathedral with mosaics, a tiny little round chapel dating from the same time, a very expensive and not very good restaurant (the Locanda Cipriani) and a few other restaurants that do not inspire confidence.

But Torcello was the first Venetian settlement; that and the beauty of the mosaic of the Madonna make me return every time I am in Venice.

I know not many people share my view...
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I'm with Eloise...if you have to do an island....Torcello. And I'm another vote for the Frari..always a must when we visit Venice.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Another vote for the Frari and the nearby Scuola di San Rocco.

The Rialto is just another bridge. And you will likely have to cross it anyway, even if it does not figure on your itinerary.

If you are fixed on hitting the highest of the high points, you cannot miss the Accademia, as it has one of the great painting collections of the world, notwithstanding its narrow Venetian focus.

I have visited Venice at least 10 times and have never visited the islands you cite, other than Giudecca -- for the view across to San Marco.

I think the Salute is a good trade for San Giorgio, though I included both on my last trip (Feb. 2004)

The Peggy Guggenheim Foundation (Palazzo del Leone -- sp???) might be a good complement to all the historic sites you have chosen...
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM

BTW: If you want to feel like you are sitting in an outdoor cafe in Venice RIGHT THIS MOMENT, check out my sister-in-law's Venice cafe watercolours at:

www.susiegale.com
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM

You can visit Burano and Torcello, since they are so close together, in about half a day if you start early. Torcello is definitely more peaceful and easier on a short stay, but Burano is the one if you happen to be into photography.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:04 PM

If you really want to do an island, in my opinion Burano is much nicer than Murano.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 07:22 PM
KT

Or if you really just want to visit a smaller island, here's a unique one that isn't a very long ride away: the cemetery island, San Michele.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -