Venice, 3rd weekend in July?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Mary

Venice, 3rd weekend in July?

We are planning a trip to Italy this summer and end up in Venice the third weekend in July. I have heard that there is a Festival on this weekend with Fireworks. Has anyone been to Venice during this weekend? If so, I would appreciate feedback, so I can decide if this is something we want to be present for or would rather avoid. Is this a local festival, or purely for tourists? What are the crowds like? Is it a noisey weekend?
Thanks,

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Bob

Venice is packed in the summer...regardless of any festival. The day trippers arrive each day and swamp the city then leave in the evening. Therefore the best time in Venice is when they all leave.

We were in Venice a few Julys ago. I expected hot weather and almost froze on a few days. Prepare for both as there are no guarantees for hot weather.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:25 AM
jack

Hi there. I have a spare room in central venice that i let from time to time at very good rates.
If you are interested in such a service then pls send me an email and i will send you more info + pictures since its not allowed to advertise on Fodors.
Thanks and best regards.
Jack

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Heather

We were in Venice that week this past year for our honeymoon. We loved it. It is crowded, but if you follow the advice of the people on this board you can avoid the tourists (i.e. only visit St. Marks Square first thing in the morning or after 4 PM).

Our hotel (La Calcina) would have had a perfect view of the fireworks with our second story room with canal view. Unfortunately we checked out that morning. The fireworks are set up on the Guidecca Canal and I've heard they can be seen from all over the island. I would highly recommend being there -- if we had known about it we definitely would have stayed an extra day.

Also would agree that the weather is a bit unpredictable. But as we had heard it would be unbearably hot we were pleased that it was in the 70s every day (a little cooler a few mornings with the rain). The only burning hot weather we endured was our day trip to Verona.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 01:35 PM
loislane17

Heather chose one of my favorite spots and a great viewpoint for the fireworks: La Calcina, a wonderful hotel and a good spot to watch for the Feast of the Reddemer (La Festa del Redentore). There's a thread above this one with more info on the holiday.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 06:46 PM
mary

Thanks for the information. Are there any activities on the Sunday? I've heard Redemeer happens on Both days.