Venice in July?

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice in July?

I have read so many mixed reviews about Venice in the summer time. I am trying to finalize our July honeymoon itinerary so that we can start booking hotels. We will start in Rome, then Positano, then Florence or Siena and then possibly Venice. I am from Texas so the heat is not a problem for me. Is it going to be really crowded and smelly? It is a bit out of the way from the rest of our itinerary so I am trying to decide whether to save it for another trip or go now.
Thanks again for your help!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

Depends on how long your honeymoon takes, 2 weeks?, 3 weeks?
Rome 4 to 5 nights, Positano 4 to 5 nights, Tuscany 3 to 4 nights seems the minimum to enjoy each place...
I wouldn't squeeze Venice in only 2 weeks with your program. If 3 weeks, then you could add Venice.
Don't care about the smell. It only smells from time to time in certain areas. One block further down, it doesn't smell at all! Venice is not a pig sty.
It may be crowded, but july is also the time for summer vacation at the beach, so...
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:18 AM

amrach, I had your same concerns before my husband and I spent time in Florence for his birthday, and Venice to renew our wedding vows on a gondola this past July.

Yes, it was hot some days, but nothing like Texas heat. I kept thinking of choosing another month after hearing so many negatives about traveling to Italy in July, but we really wanted to be in Venice on our actual anniversary, and we have no regrets about going that time of year.

I grew up in Texas, but have lived overseas for the past ten years where the heat and humidity aren't nearly as bad. So, I figured the heat in Italy would probably bother me, but it really didn't. Was it hot? Yes, but not nearly as hot as Texas in the summer, IMO. And, it was actually quite cool in the mornings. The only time I noticed any heat was walking in direct sunlight in the middle of day. However, we found lots of shade in many piazzas, campos, and alleyways while walking around.

The crowds quite frankly didn't really bother us either, and there were no bad odors in either city. Don't get me wrong, as there were a lot of people in each city, but it was not overwhelming since we could always find out of the way places to get some quiet time when we wanted. Also, Venice was very quiet and totally different at night after all the daytrippers left for the day.

Put it this way...the heat and crowds were not enough to detour us from going that time of year again, if that were the case.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:23 AM

I forgot to add that personally I would NOT skip Venice. There is no other city like it in the world. It's just really magical and unique. Even if you were there for just two days and one night, it would be worth it...IMO.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:40 AM

Definitely go to Venice, and try to go the 3rd weekend of July, when they have the Festa Redentore. It is a huge deal in Venice, there are fireworks, if you can be there then, it will be an unforgettable experience.

Try to find a hotel outside of San Marco to avoid the crowds.

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:28 AM

I was there in July 2002 and am going back this coming July so that should tell you that July in Venice was not bad at all. In fact some of the hotels have lower in prices in July an August than they do in the spring and fall. Our hotel told us that the crowds are worse in those months than in July. That said, there were plenty of people and it was quite warm. But I would never consider not going to Venice. You practically have to stick you head in a canal in order to be bothered by any smell.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:58 PM

I, too, want to encourage you to go to Venice. I was there twice, both times in July, and once was warm, but not unbearable, and the other time was rainy and somewhat cool.

I would recommend staying in an area like the Dorsoduro section, away from San Marco where the crowds can get pretty intense. I stayed in both La Calcina and Accademia, and preferred La Calcina. It's located on the Guidecca Canal, and is just enough out of the way of the crowds of people so that we never felt overwhelmed.

It's also easy to get away from crowds; get lost in the streets and you'll find yourself amazingly alone at times; yet you're never too far away from the tourist path.

A friend of mine went to Venice on her honeymoon and I remember her saying that she was so overwhelmed by the sight of Venice that she began to cry when she got off the train. Though I didn't cry upon arrival, both my husband and I were completely overwhelmed-- and we are cynical NYers!

You will love Venice, and July is not the problem that some people say it is.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
ira

Hi Amrach,

I would drop Rome or Positano and go to Venice for my honeymoon.

IT IS NOT SMELLY!!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! We will definitely include Venice in our travel plans
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:27 PM

We stayed in VEnice in Late June with supposedly August type heat and it was still great! our windows opened up right over the grand canal and it was not smelly!