Vegetarian restaurant in Paris for New Year's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a good veg. restaurant that would be open and fun on NYE? My boyfriend is vegetarian, and it appears that most restaurants will just wheel out a series of courses which may or may not contain meat etc., so we'd like to try to find a vegetarian spot to enjoy the dinner portion of the evening.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Does the Paris "Zagat" ring any bells?
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:09 AM
brotherleelove2003

If you don't get any specific suggestions, you could try what I did several years ago. I walked into a 5 star hotel in Paris and asked the Concierge. They're paid to know this sort of thing and directed me to a fantastic all-vegetarian restaurant where I had a wonderful meal. Sorry I don't remember the name.

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Good suggestion.

I'd still like specific restaurant recs though!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:15 PM

For a real splurge, you could see if 3 Michelin starred L'Arpege (rue de Varenne, in the 7th) is open for NYE. It is an excellent restaurant, vegetarian and very expensive.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:21 PM

mp:

Somehow I think the chances of finding, even on so good a resource as Fodors, someone who has had a great meal at a vegetarian restaurant in Paris on New Year's Eve is, well, darn slim.

I stand by my suggestion to hit Chinatown. Or maybe do a Google search for Paris fondue.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:33 PM

HAve you checked the post you have on Chowhound..it had lots of good advice
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM

I got this from frommers.com

It's a REALLY inexpensive strictly vegetarian restaurant:

Aquarius
54 rue Ste-Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie
01-48-87-48-71
Main courses 7.60€-11€ ($6.75-$10); fixed-price menu 11€-15€ ($10-$13)

In a 17th-century building whose original stonework forms part of the earthy decor, this is one of the best-known vegetarian restaurants in Le Marais. The owners serve only a limited array of (strictly organic) wine, and smoking is expressly forbidden. Their flavorful meals are healthfully prepared. Choose from an array of soups and salads; a galette of wheat served with crudités and mushroom tarts; or a country plate composed of fried mushrooms and potatoes, garlic, and goat cheese, served with a salad.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:41 PM

Here is a good list of vegetarian restaurants in Paris
http://www.jack-travel.com/Paris/Par...estaurants.htm

Arpege is the only one I have ever heard of that is anything other than a simple cafe/tea salon type place.

I think your best bet might be some other type of ethnic cuisine, such as I or St Cirq suggested before. Along those lines, certain Indian restaurants cater to vegetarians and you might find something better than the vegetarian restaurants above. Yugaraj is a full service Indian resto in Paris that has vegetarian menus, and its in St-Germain, a good location. You'll have to call about the NY eve thing. Here is one brief blurb on it:
http://www.123paris.net/dining/yugaraj.html

Here's another guide that calls it the best in Paris, and elegant:
http://www.wguides.com/city/8/subsub_96.cfm
that last guide has a section for vegetarian restaurants also and mentions Man Ray which would certainly be a good NY choice (although prob. too expensive for you). They are apparently calling it a vegetarian choice because of its seafood/sushi choices, I gather, but it isn't clear what you are looking for in that regard.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:43 PM

oh I will admit that I love Indian food and frequently dine at those kind of restaurants, but I wouldn't exactly pick them out for a big NY eve to-do nor expect themn to be "fun" in that regard.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:26 PM

i love piccolo teatro (in the marais at 6 rue des écouffes), though i have only ever eaten there for lunch. small place, but with a great ambiance & nice staff--some of my friends refer to it as the most romantic veggie restaurant in paris. who knows? i like their fried tempeh.

i would definitely recommend booking ahead of time as this place is popular. however, i'm not sure if they will be open on nye. the phone # is 01 42 72 17 79 if you want to inquire. good luck!
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 05:49 AM

How can Zagat's be considered overrated? Zagat's ratings are pulled right from the diners' mouths, based on thousands and thousands of diner critiques. They don't use or send food critics. There isn't another resource like it or one that is as comprehensive. When you disagree with some of their ratings, you disagree with thousands of people who have dined and critiqued a place. That's your right. Who on earth would think that one or two fodor's recs could compare? At least Zagats offers food categories, one of which is Vegetarian. (At least in NY. Not sure about Paris.) I can't think of a better reference guide to get you closer to making a decision. Sounds to me like you want someone to tell you where to go, like uhoh suggested.

carnie
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recs. L'Arpege sounds wonderful, but their website says it's around 300 E / person. That's way too much for us. Aquarius and the Piccolo also sound nice, will check them out.

It looks like my other post was removed (is Fodor's affiliated w/ Zagat's?), but I said I thought Zagat's was overrated because it is exactly what you said--a compendium of thousands of reviews, the result of which is usually a very inaccurate summary. I like to hear personal anecdotes, because they tend to offer more interesting/telling details than a paragraph by some editor trying to convey the feelings of many people.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 10:01 AM

I've been listening in on some cucumber cackle and some opinionated veggie girls I know, who just got back from Paris, mentioned two places they adore: La Victoire Supreme du Coeur (0140419395) near the Louvre and Le Grenier de Notre Dame (0143299829) near St. Michel. The girls claim the food is divine in both places but Le Grenier is more formal and has a website. I don't eat with vegetarians or in veggie-only restaurants so I can't offer my own taste bud experience. But, these gals are heffers and like to eat great tasting food. They also claim there are many new vegetarian offerings in Paris and they keep a list of new places to try. Pardon my yawn.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Hi mp413,

Entre Ciel Et Terre, on 5, rue Hérold, is a lovely vegetarian restaurant but I don't know what it would be like on NYE.

http://entrecieletterre.free.fr/

You could email Alliance Végétarienne at: [email protected] and ask them for a list of restaurants offering meals on NYE.
At a minimum, they will send you a current list of Paris vegetarian restaurants for you to research in more detail.

Best wishes for a delicious meal and please post an update upon your return.

Maureen
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recs. Is there any way I can see this list?
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Wow--an Alliance Vegetarienne. Who knew.

Thanks a lot for that--I will email them.

Snob, any word on that list?