Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vatican Tour: Which One? Combine with Scavi Tour?

Feb 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

I have my Scavi tour confirmed (well, waiting for them to confirm credit card payment) for a Monday @ 9:30. I figure I'll be done by 11 AM and would then just stick around the Vatican and do a guided tour of the museum/sistine chapel/st. peters.

Would this be doable?

Also, on the Vatican website I see two different tours. One is just the museum + Sistine chapel, and the second does both PLUS St. Peters.

Which one should I pick? I obviously want to see everything....and don't mind the full day. But do you need the St. Peters part (not worried about price)?

Thank you in advance.
Feb 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM

St Peter's Basicilica is incredible - if you 're asking if you should visit - but don;t know if you need a guide. While there you should definitely see the Treasury and climb up to the Dome for a great view out over rome.
Feb 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

ny: Yes, not sure whether to get the tour with St. Peters on it? Or just do St. Peters on my own.

Also concerned about cramming all this into one day....or if I should split over 2.

We'll be there in mid-May, so weather shouldn't be TOO hot.

We have 9 full days in Rome (plan on a couple day trips) plus an additional morning.

I'm inclined to do it all in one crazy day....just because I'm thinking the Vatican is a bit "out of the way" from other sights.

Or split it and do an afternoon in Trastevere and an afternoon at Borghese.
Feb 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM

With 9 days, I would split up the tours and go with your afternoon options. I would probably do the Scavi and the St Peters tour together, then the Museum and Sistine Chapel on another day, that way you would have free time to go back thru the museum to revisit exhibits that you want to explore in more depth. That would also give you the oportunity to go back to St Peters and Vatican Square. It can all be seen in one day, but it is rushed and you will miss the chance to explore on your own.
Feb 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM

I think Poconolady has a good idea. When you go back to the Vatican Museums you will probably want to go into St. Peters again. We certainly did.
Feb 15th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pocono & Lynn. I think it sounds like a better plan as well. I can finish the Scavi and do St. Peters (do the dome climb) and then have lunch somewhere nearby (maybe in trastevere). Then do a day 2 tour of the Vatican/Sistine and maybe the nearby castle + Borghese....or something like that.

Since I have quite a few days in Rome, I really do want to take things easy. Be more relaxed ;-)
Feb 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM

At the end of the Scavi Tour, you have the option of going up and into the Basilica without having to get on the long line outside waiting to get in. You should probably do that. I do not believe you need a tour as a good published guide is really all you need.
Feb 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM

We will also be going in May and are debating between a private tour guide (either through the vatican or with an independent guide)or we are considering going later in the day on our own when it might be less crowded - but with an advanced ticket purchase. I am traveling with my brother and my nephew plus 6 others...the two mentioned are not very high on patience. Money is a factor, but I also don't want to make a bad choice so will work it out financially if it's a huge difference. Anyone have any guidance?
Feb 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Margaret. I could just download an iphone app for the basilica.

OK...thanks all. I'm going to book the Vatican for the next day (or later in the week).